WinRar - Prevent auto-extraction to parent folder

nns

Hi,

It has been a very long time since I last posted!

Recently, I have been facing a rather unusual problem while using WinRar. Whenever I open a file from the WinRar window, the file is extracted to the parent folder and remains there even after closing WinRar. Earlier these files were probably extracted to a temporary files folder and didn't trouble me. Now I have a load of files everywhere there is a .rar file I have opened.

Any way to stop winrar from extracting files and just simply view the rared files?

Thanks,

nns

There are several possibilities that exist with your WinRar malfunction. Here are some ideas...open your winrar program, and go through your settings options specifing what the program should do thoroughly. Winrar has issues with drag & drop, if you have been using this method, stop, as it causes temp file problems. If you you have recently tried to view the files with a different program other than Winrar, that too causes issues with temp files, as now Winrar doesnt think it should delete the temps. Usually by closing WinRar for at least an hour wipes the temps when restarted.

The sudden change is what is troubling. It is possible that you may may have corrupted the winrar program with a virus or malware, and it has found its way into the temp files making them undeletable by WinRar. The temp folders are in Users/       /local/appdata/temp, if you cannot manually delete any files inside, or if it states "the files are in use by another program" you have found a potential reason why WinRar has changed its behavior. Restart PC and try again. In WinRar settings you could enable error logging to further diagnose the issue.

Ive focused on these issues because the "Settings" under "Options" should have never changed on their own considering you were able click in the WinRar to view files previously. In the meantime install Malwarebytes Free and run a full scan.

Best i can do at this point.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the exact same issue. 

Tried on 2 different computers, and two different versions of winrar.

There was in fact a change in winrar behavior and it's driving me crazy.

@nns: Did you find a solution?

Before it happened, did you performed a rebuild index for windows search or shared a drive or partition (not the system one) where the rar files are stored?

These are the only things I did before the change...

@ RayMark: any insight?

Thanks!

Well, those guys at winrar are super-efficient.

Got the answer:

Please check if you have Adobe Acrobat XI installed.

We received several reports from users that Adobe Acrobat XI changes permissions of default Windows temporary folder, resulting in incorrect temporary file processing in WinRAR and other applications.

You can see independent confirmations here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1144290?tstart=0

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/cant-install-any-applications/7fc00c13-c91e-4288-99f3-133f957930c2

Users confirmed that it helped to manually create another folder like C:\Temp and assign it as a new WinRAR folder for temporary files in WinRAR "Settings/Paths" dialog. Another option is to restore the original permissions of system temporary folder, but Acrobat can corrupt them again later.

Have you reinstalled the program??

And by any chance is it one of those cracked versions floating around in the internet?

And if it is one their recent changes they made in their software, then pardon my ignorance please.

Edited by d6bmg

There's nothing wrong with winrar. I wasn't being sarcastic when i said they were super efficient. The answer was provided by winrar support.

It seems acrobat reader (genuine and free) is messing up temp folder permissions for other programs also.

On the other hand... d6bmg might be right if referring to acrobat and not winrar. Stirred up my memory and in fact the culprit might be a portable version of acrobat...

nns, is it possible?

I'm still testing.

Edited by jomjo