iPhone OS 4.0

Ryu Hayabusa

Ok, whoa :) Even with my bias, the AT&T network wasn't that fast pre-iPhone. And cmon, are you really going with the "AT&T isn't making things up by claiming that it has the fastest 3G network" hmmm....propaganda, maybe, it is just an advertising campain. Both us and Verizon are faster with current 3G speeds, which is why everytime I see these AT&T commercials saying "fastest 3G" it is rediculous. When I 1st got with Sprint, I wanted to know for myself what the truth was. So I took my wireless card and laptop with me into a Verizon and AT&T store. I told them that if they had a faster connection I would switch today. I can tell you the Verizon store was more helpful the the AT&T store! I believe the Verizon people thought they might have a new customer. AT&T people wanted to tell me about all the other things they had to offer, which really is only the iPhone and simultaneous phone/internet.

Needless to say, with Verizon it was close, AT&T's speed wasn't even close, and this is a true story. I'm not sure exactly where you are getting your info, and I hope it is from more places than TV commercials. But, I believe this has been tested quite a few times, and I'm pretty sure you can find some info on this! But, you can always take a laptop to the 3 and do the testing for yourself, as I do about every quarter, just to make sure I am giving accurate info to my customers!

I also am not sure if you understood what "BA" meant! It is a GOOD THING to be BA! "Bad A**" And I'm on Overclockersclub forum, no need for "eloquence" when BA says it all :)

While you can talk all about how much faster LTE will be than Wi-Max, it is hard to stand behind that right now. Being that you can walk around with a Sprint 4G phone or wireless card as we speak, but you will have to wait 1-3 years before you see your opinion now materialize into an actually technology. Not to mention the fact that they are saying that the "potential" we be faster! So at that point Sprint will have already had thier 4G out for maybe close to 3-4 years! Which may bring some updates, who knows, or maybe we switch to LTE.......down the road. And they are also talking about speeds reaching up to 12Mb/sec on LTE when the technology is fully developed, Wi-Max is sitting at 6 right now, today!

GSM is not great here in the States, like I said though, it is a phenomenal overseas! I myself will be routing for USA today at 2pm, but if you want your iPhone to work like it's supposed to w/o using wifi, then you would probably find yourself in a bar with a bunch of English soccer fans :)

All in good fun :cheers:

Did I forget to mention that on Sprint you get UNLIMITED EVERYTHING for $69.99?

For starters, if AT&T made the claim that they're the fastest 3G network without actual data backing them up, that would be called false advertising and you can bet Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile would be all over them for it.

Now, here's the proof from third party sources:

PCMag

Gizmodo

Computerworld

These tests were conducted in a total of several hundred locations across the country. Your test is what, a few square miles? So AT&T isn't the fastest in YOUR area, but that doesn't detract from the simple fact that on average, across the country AT&T is THE fastest 3G provider.

I'll admit, by BA I thought it was a typo for BS, leading me to believe that you were disparaging the iPhone 4.

Now you clearly don't know a thing about LTE either. Fully developed LTE is not 12Mbps. The spec sets out a peak download rate of 325Mbps. Wi-Max's peak download rate is a measly 40Mbps. That's not even faster than the fastest 3G technology, HSPA+, which maxes out at 56Mbps! It's no wonder everybody is disparaging Sprint for using the term 4G to describe its Wi-Max network when in reality, it's more like 3.5G. Also, LTE uses the 700MHz band, which can deeply penetrate buildings. Sprint's Wi-Max travels on the far weaker 2.5GHz, and a common complaint by people is that their 4G cuts out when deep inside a building.

You keep riding the CDMA train there buddy while the rest of us are moving forward with the far more versatile GSM. Even Verizon, the nation's largest CDMA provider, has realized this.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For starters, if AT&T made the claim that they're the fastest 3G network without actual data backing them up, that would be called false advertising and you can bet Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile would be all over them for it.

Now, here's the proof from third party sources:

PCMag

Gizmodo

Computerworld

These tests were conducted in a total of several hundred locations across the country. Your test is what, a few square miles? So AT&T isn't the fastest in YOUR area, but that doesn't detract from the simple fact that on average, across the country AT&T is THE fastest 3G provider.

I'll admit, by BA I thought it was a typo for BS, leading me to believe that you were disparaging the iPhone 4.

Now you clearly don't know a thing about LTE either. Fully developed LTE is not 12Mbps. The spec sets out a peak download rate of 325Mbps. Wi-Max's peak download rate is a measly 40Mbps. That's not even faster than the fastest 3G technology, HSPA+, which maxes out at 56Mbps! It's no wonder everybody is disparaging Sprint for using the term 4G to describe its Wi-Max network when in reality, it's more like 3.5G. Also, LTE uses the 700MHz band, which can deeply penetrate buildings. Sprint's Wi-Max travels on the far weaker 2.5GHz, and a common complaint by people is that their 4G cuts out when deep inside a building.

You keep riding the CDMA train there buddy while the rest of us are moving forward with the far more versatile GSM. Even Verizon, the nation's largest CDMA provider, has realized this.

i always <3 your rebuttals kash, it's like you're a lawyer or something :rolleyes:

I thought you were a big mobile phone aficionado? I figured you of all people would know all about emerging cellular technologies

Ya but I always gotta learn new stuff from somewhere :evilgrin: . Plus since you said this wasn't a direction Sprint would probably take for a while, that's probably why I haven't heard of it :woot:

Good posts...

I installed the 4.0 software update I have noticed way faster response and better battery life.

Its easy to blame AT&T for this, hell I live in the middle of the city and the 3G coverage is crap. I go out of the city in some rural areas and it is full strength! Explain that one lol...

But anyways if AT&T continues to try and fix their network I am ok with it, its annoying when calls drop for me and such, but I am hoping with the new iPhone design that it might be improved with the new antenna system. I love some of ATTs features such as the rollover minutes, I have like 2000 rollover minutes saved up that I never use. Its just good to know that I have a safety net if I go over one month...

Its easy to blame AT&T for this, hell I live in the middle of the city and the 3G coverage is crap. I go out of the city in some rural areas and it is full strength! Explain that one lol...

Easy, more users in big cities saturate the towers. Fewer users in rural and suburban areas means less load on the towers, hence why you get good 3G speeds there.

Yeah rollover minutes are nice, though Sprint just started this thing where calling ANY network's cell phone is free outright. So my 450 minutes are only for landlines that are outside the nights and weekend.

Easy, more users in big cities saturate the towers. Fewer users in rural and suburban areas means less load on the towers, hence why you get good 3G speeds there.

I can understand slow 3G speeds, but little to no coverage is no excuse. A few areas in town I most frequent get little to NO coverage.