Mountain biking

Coors

I started riding clipless about a year ago and cornering and bailing were a concern of mine. But eventually unclipping and reclipping just become second nature. It helps a ton with climbing, technical sections, and keeping your feet planted when it gets rough. I would recommend it especially if you are riding a hardtail. Just make sure you get used to clipping and unclipping on the road before going on the trail. You will fall over at stoplights your first few times. :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess I may have to rethink it. If I go clips I will be looking at the ones you can roll your foot out the side of, which is the style my mate has on his road bike, fairly easy to attach and detach and rocksolid the rest of the time. Also I guess now that my shoe size hasn't changed in a few years it wont be an investment I won't get full use of.

Cheers guys :cheers:

Well I guess I may have to rethink it. If I go clips I will be looking at the ones you can roll your foot out the side of, which is the style my mate has on his road bike, fairly easy to attach and detach and rocksolid the rest of the time. Also I guess now that my shoe size hasn't changed in a few years it wont be an investment I won't get full use of.

You won't regret it thats for sure. I did not realize that there were multiple types, i have always used the ones where you just push your heel out and it unclips and you just step on it to clip in.

You won't regret it thats for sure. I did not realize that there were multiple types, i have always used the ones where you just push your heel out and it unclips and you just step on it to clip in.

Well multiple brands and multiple standards will great multiple types. You can luckily change the clips on the bottom.of your shoes to go with different systems. Even combo systems which I think may be a good way to go and may end up going, as there are times you dont want to put on special shoes just to ride to the shops or something.

I have Shimano clipless pedals. It's just a twist of the ankle and my feet are free. You can even adjust how far you need to twist before it releases. Just a heads up that MTB and Road pedals are different. MTB pedals are made to withstand more rock hits and they shed mud better.

My entire setup (shoes and pedals) cost me ~$100. If I was a weight weenie, then I would probably need to spend more.

Edited by Vasto

I ride a Specialized Hardrock mountain bike although I haven't done much off the road recently, I used to do a fair bit just up the road from the 2012 Olympics site, Hadleigh Farm. I never used cages on my pedals, or clips for that matter. :dunno:

Well pedals are still a while away yet but looky look what arrived today.

Nice fork. Is that a thru-axle? Are you going to get new wheels too?

Its a 2012 Rockshox Reba RL with crown lockout as I didn't want the poplock system, just one more thing to rip off haha. It is a thru-axle and I'll be needing a new wheel for the front at least.

Will grab myself a tubeless ready wheel and dependant on what prices I am looking at may do the rear wheel too and pick up new tires. Only reason I haven't gone tubeless yet is i haven't had a single puncture in 2 years the tread is finally come pretty far down but it baffles me how I ain't punctured them yet.

I ride a Specialized Hardrock mountain bike although I haven't done much off the road recently, I used to do a fair bit just up the road from the 2012 Olympics site, Hadleigh Farm. I never used cages on my pedals, or clips for that matter. :dunno:

A Hardrock was my first bike when I started riding. It's a fun bike. Definitely stands up to some abuse.

I have a blue and silver Haro mountain bike and the trails here in Surrey, BC are awesome. Always a local park to ride into when its not raining or some of the larger parks for the long cruises.

Well I finally have everything sorted for my upgrades and have the full specs for my two bikes, just need to wait for the last things to arrive.

My Bike

Frame - 2011 Giant Talon 3 XL 21" Frame (Black)

Fork - 2012 Rockshox Reba RL (White)

Handlebar - Giant Alloy Low Riser (Stock)

Stem - Giant Alloy Ahead 7 Degree (Stock)

Seat post - Giant Alloy 30.9 Micro Adjust (Stock)

Saddle - SDG Bel Air

Pedals - Alloy White Pedals (Gen)

Shifters - Shimano Altus EF60 24 sp. EZ FIRE+

Front Derailleur - Shimano TX50 34.9

Rear Derailleur - Shimano Alivio 8 sp.

Brakes - Avid BB7 with 6 bolt G3 Rotors

Brake Levers - Shimano V-brake

Cassette - Shimano HG30 8 sp. 11-32T

Chain - KMC 8sp

Crankset - Shimano M191 24x34x42T

Bottom Bracket - VP semi cartridge

Front Rim - Shimano MT66 UST 26" (Black)

Rear Rim - Shimano MT68 UST 26" (Black)

Tires - Maxxis LUST 26 x 2.25