Going to be installing an SSD, help me set it up.

Andrewr05

I know there is guides all over the internet, but I wanted to ask you guys on here.

I bought an OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD and just for shits and giggles I bought a Sata III PCI-e card.

Whats the first thing I should do when I get the SSD?

Anything special to do as I install windows 7 onto it?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me I'd likely forego the use of the PCIe card interface and just connect it to the Intel controller.  Using the stand-alone PCIe card you will probably lose TRIM capability and your boot time will be longer (if either of those matter).

If you connect it to the Intel controller there isn't much you need to do.  Windows 7 will have a native AHCI driver that will get the rig up and running.  Windows 7 will also properly align the SSD during formatting and installation.

You'll want to make sure that your storage controller is set to AHCI in the BIOS.

After Windows 7 is installed and updated you might consider installing the Intel RST driver - but that isn't a necessity.

If it were me I'd likely forego the use of the PCIe card interface and just connect it to the Intel controller.  Using the stand-alone PCIe card you will probably lose TRIM capability and your boot time will be longer (if either of those matter).

If you connect it to the Intel controller there isn't much you need to do.  Windows 7 will have a native AHCI driver that will get the rig up and running.  Windows 7 will also properly align the SSD during formatting and installation.

You'll want to make sure that your storage controller is set to AHCI in the BIOS.

After Windows 7 is installed and updated you might consider installing the Intel RST driver - but that isn't a necessity.

The only reason I bought it is because my motherboard is only SATA II, is that really going to matter?

I can cancel the order.  :dunno: