Building a CHEAP computer

So my girlfriend's computer is a complete POS: And I've optimized the crap out of it until it started driving me nuts. I want to build her a new one, thing is: She's nothing like anyone on this site: She doesn't care if it's slow, fast, or God in a box. She just wants it to work. I've offered to build her a better rig, but she doesn't want one; She just wants "simply works and doesn't freeze."

So I just want to buy her the cheapest AM3 board I can and about 4GB of DDR3 memory. I'm not even buying a CPU, as I'll give her mine and get myself a Phenom II 970.

I already have everything else: Just need those two components.

So my question is: Does anyone know of anything cheaper than my list so far?

The technical requirements of what I'm looking for are:

DDR3 1333-1600 memory, 2x2GB (total 4GB)

At least one PCI-Ex16 slot (for my GTS 250 to go into hers)

AM3 socket (for my 555 BE- Doesn't have to have core unlocker, but if ti does for the same price as one without, that'll work.)

Cannot be cheaply made: If it's going to die 6 months after I buy it: I'd rather pay the extra: But it doesn't have to be a performance component either.

And that's all: If it fits those specs, there's very little I will turn down.

Here's what I've decided to go with so far, wondering if you guys can find a cheaper/better deal:

Biostar Micro ATX mobo

$GB G Skill- DDR3-1333

I'll even take local store recommendations, although keep in mind many stores may not be in my area (Washington, PA- Pittsburgh, PA: I'm smack dab in the middle of the two.)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did same thing for my girlfrind.

nothing fancy she only wants the same thing of TS's gf but can also play zuma :sick:

intel atom (dont know what mobo it is but it goes with the package)

2gb ddr ram

250gb sata

psu (generic)

dvd/dvdr

15" lcd

avr

mouse & keyboard

for only $230 (converted from peso) it was a shop promo.

but it ended me using the pc more often for downloads. but she doesnt care as long as she can check her facebook and play zuma :thumbsup:

pc is still healthy for about a year now did not experience any freezing/crashes considering im opening loads of sites, ym, msn msgr, movies, photoshop even for me clients..

@TS specs those are already cheap

Edited by bklixuz

Thanks for the replies guys!

I won't be posting a WTB here in forums because I'm not really on a timeline. I might do this now, I might do it in a month. It all depends on when I find a good deal and have some cash sitting in my wallet.

She doesn't even want me to upgrade it in the first place, but I always have to go over and help her when it freezes up on her (has 312MB RAM- I know that sounds impossible but she really does.. It's a bunch of cheap crap in odd sizes).. So whether or not she thinks it's worth paying for, it's coming out of my wallet and will help us both.

But because of this, it's not a "I have to do this right now" kinda thing, it can wait if no easy deals come along when I have the cash to spare.

312MB RAM in 2012?

That's a world record. :P

no...my friend had 256mb of ram...with a P4 2.4...and he was wondering why he couldn't play NFS prostreet :D

edit: and onboard graphics

Edited by Il_napoletano