Silent PSU for 24/7 operation

Hi All,

Been a long time since I created a topic on here, but I need some advice.

The server in my signature has been getting on my nerves in terms of noise.

To reduce this, I consolidated some HDDs so reduced the amount of spinning rust from 7x HDDs to 5x HDDs.

I then also got some sound insulation foam and replaced the case fans with silent versions.

Its made a huge difference. The case is almost silent.

The only component making any real noise is the Power supply fan. The PSU is a PC&P Silencer (lol) 610W.

I was considering either: A) Replacing the fan in the PSU or B:) buying another PSU.

What silent PSU which can deal with 24/7 operation would you recommend? By using a PSU power calculator, I recon I need 390W. So min PSU would probably be a 500W unit.

Thanks for reading!

if all you have is a file/ media server and thats all it is used for you can use a lot less PSU...

My server has 6 hard drives and a 430w Antec Green and soon I'll be switching to a Corsair CX-430 modular... both dead silent

Thanks for the replies!

The server is a little more than just file server, it runs a whole bunch of VM's too. It also has a TV card and acts as a DLNA transcoder.

So its CPU dosent sit dead idle, it is in use.

I am tempted to mod the PSU.... it has been such a fantastic unit. It has literally been off for no more than a couple of days at time over the last 5 years. 

Anybody modded a PCP&C 610W before? My google found some other forum topics discussing doing it, but nobody posting bad saying they had done it.

My only concern would be that the fan I fit dsoent keep the unit cool enough...

What is the model number of the fan?

Take a look and see what fan is fitted and you'll probably be able to find its specification on line.

You then need to find one with a similar specification that runs quieter.

I think it may be an 80mm fan? Something like this may do the job with a little less noise?

Think getting a Noctua fan is best, that is what I replaced all the other case fans with and I am really really impressed! They are DEAD silent but still move a fair amount of air. 

I will take a look at the PSU tonight and see if I need a 3 pin or 4 pin fan. I imagine its probably 2/3...

Think getting a Noctua fan is best, that is what I replaced all the other case fans with and I am really really impressed! They are DEAD silent but still move a fair amount of air. 

I will take a look at the PSU tonight and see if I need a 3 pin or 4 pin fan. I imagine its probably 2/3...

Noctua inside a PSU? Sounds like a plan!