MSI HD7950OC TF3 PCI3 owners's question (solved)

acpowell

I recently purchased a MSI HD7950OC TF3 PCi3 from microcenter.  It seems like a great card.  I was looking up some things about it for overclocking and I seem to stumbled across something odd.  Every single 7950 card I find MSI or otherwise seems to have 6x6 power plugs.  Mine has a 6x8.  When looking on MSI's site they don't show photos of that side of the card.  The card even came with a 6 to 8 pin adapter.  Anyone else have this card and know why it seems to differ from all the other 7950s or did I get some other magical thing?  This was not an open box or anything that I am aware of.

**UPDATE**

Found a post on another site that said this: MSI has started using reference 7970 PCBs for their 7950 Twin Frozr 3 OC cards

Here is the link to that site although it really was created to talk about Aquacomputer 7950 blocks: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1704168

Edited by acpowell

The more I read into this the more confused I get.  I bought this at microcenter and when I look at my online receipt it shows I purchased this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/403013/R7950_TF_3GD5-OC_AMD_Radeon_HD_7950_Twin_Frozr_III_Overclocked_3072MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card#tab-specs

But the Specs listed don't match up to what GPU-Z reports which is this: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/08/27/980.png

I have not overclocked it or anything, but I had wanted to see if I could get it to 1Ghz which from the looks shouldn't be too hard.  Anyone know what I am looking at here?

I believe that means it has a 7970 pcb, should overclock VERY well... I'd even consider trying to flash it to a 7970 but atleast OC'n it high!

considering it is only a few days old I don't want to go flashing things to other things just yet, but I was going to try overclocking it this weekend.  I am only playing FFXIV ARR so it is not like I am playing Crysis or something. 

I was going to use the MSI utility to over clock and I suppose you just increase a bit then run the benchmark for a while and see what happens eh?

Yeah do that... maybe look into the flashing though...could be a diamond in the rough

Well I just maxed out the core clook to 1100 on afterburner and I have zero issues.  When I change memory MHz it doesn't see to do anything so I am not sure what that does for me. and I don't really know what else to change.

So I have literally maxed the core clock to 1100, is there anyway to force it past there?  I have not touch the memory clock yet though, so I don't know if I should or shouldn't. 

Waco:  I don't know about older or newer but I agree about the good find.  I have never had something that when I put it to the max, it just worked flawlessly and didn't even over heat much.

IVIYTH0S, on 28 Aug 2013 - 3:35 PM, said:IVIYTH0S, on 28 Aug 2013 - 3:35 PM, said:

You tested it in a couple games??

The only game I had installed I couldn't get online because of congestion, but I had kombustor running at full tilt for a while.  I am going to try and get on to FFXIV ARR tonight and see how it goes since that is the game I bought this card for anyway.  Also I still am not sure if I should try and increase the memory clock, or how I know when it is too much.

Also I really would like to know if it is possible to go past 1100 which is what the slider maxed out at.

Edited by acpowell

Try a wide variety of games, if you want the best stress test. "Stress tester" programs often let a lot slip by and a variety games will test all different aspects of the card...For instance Crysis 1 let alot of my instability slip by but C&C 3 failed, so even the most trivial game could reveal the fact that you need to turn down the OC a bit