Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review -

If it were just a bit more money... I would have bought one, which I didn't.

I bought a Crosshair V 990FX and for buying an equivalent priced board around here, I would need to buy a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5, which isn't as good as an Asus Crosshair V. For the equivalent quality, I would need to buy a Asus Maximus Extreme-Z, which is the price and an half and a bit more of a Crosshair V. The price of the CHV is 205 € and the Maximus is 345 € around here.

So, it isn't a bit more than an AMD system and the FX8120 is just a bit worse than a 2500k for the same price. At the same time, since Intel is releasing the Haswell next year, it is probably coming a new socket, when I can keep my AM3+ socket.

I might add that with the difference in money, I could have bought almost a GTX560 or a Sabertooth 990FX.

Edited by XtremeDS

Its all still a pointless waste.

BD sucks intel wins. We will see if that changes with pile driver. :dunno:

That is the best argument that can be given.

I don't understand why the PC world is still doing graphs and charts about CPU performance. I feel like the subject has been beaten to death about 100000000000 times too many and the outcome is always to either spend the LITTLE extra money on intel (only 50 max and it is usually only 30, and for most users who are looking at the 8150 for gaming will save money by going with the 2500K), or buy crap.

That is not the point. We were debating comparisons and using the exact same hardware TJ. Members here like to trash a lot I swear. I am out as usual. I peek in here once in a while with the same results...

Its all still a pointless waste.

I would disagree with this.

I've owned and overclocked a 2500k, 2600k, and 2700k. Out of all of those I still like the FX 8150 better. And even though it doesn't perform as well, it has replaced the 2600k machine as my primary computer.

As far as actual performance goes, I do not notice a difference between any of the four machines. Things do however seem a little smoother on the FX 8150 (after the hotfix, and disabling the power saving features)

I also like the AMD motherboards I cam get vs the same Intel boards I could get for the same price.

However, most important (to me at least) the FX 8150 is actually fun to overclock!

I would disagree with this.

I've owned and overclocked a 2500k, 2600k, and 2700k. Out of all of those I still like the FX 8150 better. And even though it doesn't perform as well, it has replaced the 2600k machine as my primary computer.

As far as actual performance goes, I do not notice a difference between any of the four machines. Things do however seem a little smoother on the FX 8150 (after the hotfix, and disabling the power saving features)

I also like the AMD motherboards I cam get vs the same Intel boards I could get for the same price.

However, most important (to me at least) the FX 8150 is actually fun to overclock!

:pfp::P

:pfp::P

It's true, I love that chip. :P

I wouldn't recommend buying one over a SB chip, but I wouldn't call it useless. :lol:

*off topic* Did I see you in a few matches of Tribes yesterday?

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some pics of my new motherboard + ram together. New Post with New benchmarks April 20th.

---

Exit

ASUS Crosshair V +

4 Gb Gskill 2200 CL7

---

Enter

GA-990FX-UD7 +

8 Gb Team Xtreem 2400 CL9

IMG-20120403-00126.jpg

The first thing that came to mind when I first laid eyes on my new Gigabyte 990FX UD7 board was that it was quite the beautiful board. Much respect for the simple PCIE 16x slot latches, the Crosshair V uses a more traditional type, and sleek heatsink design.

EDIT: It should be noted that I received a revision 1.1 board from Newegg Canada, and that it does have Load Line Calibration (LLC) controls in the bios.

IMG-20120403-00125.jpg

The new Team Xtreem DDR3 ram has a cheap but cool looking reflecting sticker, but what is most appealing are the stats: 2400 Mhz @ Cl9, which is only surpassed by Corsair's grossly overpriced and discontinued Dominator GT dual channel flagship memory.

IMG-20120403-00115.jpg

The memory height is not found online, and could be helpful to potential buyers.

Team Xtreem memory height : 52mm

Promlatech Genesis allowed height: 54mm

So this is awfully close to the tallest ram you could use with this cooler. I have seen Dominator GT ram at a height of 54mm barley fitting underneath the heat sink, found here, and a 53 mm Corsair Vengeance stick here.

IMG-20120403-00117.jpg

I am hoping to hit 2600 Mhz speeds with these sticks overclocked, and see exactly where 8 gb benefits over 4 gb with an AMD setup. We shall see in the weeks to come!

• 1 month later...

Dude what FSB are you using in your bulldozer?

You will need to give that sucker a good bandwidth to compete with a i7 2600k

Your RAM are OK but you will need nothing less than 266mhz FSB (if possible sync with NB frequency of 2660 and SB 2660)

Lets give a try and throw some results :)

Edited by andrenoites