How to connect 5 1/4 floppy to modern PC

ivangela

Anyone have a suggestion for reading a 5 1/4 inch floppy

I think my dad said he has a drive from back in the day but how would one connect it to a modern PC?

I will have to see if he can pull the drive from one of the dinosaurs he kept from the 80s in order to see what kind of connection it uses but I was wondering if any of you remember these things or have tried to access one.

I don't even know what capacity the disc has, probably kbs I would guess (haven't bothered with Google as I think some here might be interested). :teehee:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 5 1/4 drives user the same ata 33 cable as 3.5 floppies. Of corse if you don't have one of those ports on your mobo you will need an adapter. I'm not sure about the BIOS this ether I'll check my main rig. 

Edit The option exists.

DSCN0501.JPG

First, a 5 1/4   floppy will holf 1.44MB. Second, tis unlikely that today's BIOS would recognize a 5 1/4 drive. But, GOOD LUCK!   :)

That is a 3.5" floppy. 5 1/4" is 100kb to 720kb, with some high density ones having 1.2mb.

Sorry but I don't even know why yo would bother, most mb's out in the last 2 years don't even have a floppy connector, and the disc's only hold 1.4 mb's of data when they did work and weren't very reliable.I think the last time I used one was to load windows 98. But good luck if you decide to do it. :wacko:

Sorry but I don't even know why yo would bother.

There are thousands of old programs to play around with and surprisingly in this age you can't find most of it on the internet.

Well that's exactly it. It's just for sh*ts and giggles.

I think the disc has my first program that I wrote on an Apple 2E in 5th grade. A graphic of a house with a shining sun that rises and sets.

I'm just curious to check it out.

BTW a lot of you are confusing the 5 1/4 floppy with the smaller hard floppy (3 1/2", I think) This is before that. It's a flimsy thing, really old, lol, like Puck said. I don't think it even holds a meg!

I was going to say I have a working machine a couple of them. a 286 amd a 486 if its something extrememly important you need to get off a disc but never mind... :whistling:

Edited by road-runner

There are thousands of old programs to play around with and surprisingly in this age you can't find most of it on the internet.

That's no surprise, it's getting hard to find drivers if you want to install xp on a newer mb, and that os is only 12 years old, it's all a plot to buy newer os's from microsoft. :vmad: