Your Sound Equipment

Fogel

Z-5500 on my PC. Ive had it for longer than i can remember with no issues, love it. Attached to a Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Fatality.

Roughly 1800W 7.2 suround system on my home theater, ill have to post the details later but its mostly klipsh speakers with an Onkyo reciever and two 300ish watt subs. Compliments a 1080p projector setup.

Sennheiser hd202 as headphones for my desk at work.

Edited by invidious

When clipping, yes (which you shouldn't be doing anyway). Otherwise - if you can hear a difference between the two then one of them isn't doing its job correctly. Any amp that colors the sound in any way isn't amplifying the signal faithfully.

There's no such thing as perfect audio amplification though... the differences to perfect, and the ability to swing (slew) the voltage under demand are ways in which amps sound different... there are so many different types of amp, you can't simply say "they all sound the same unless they are designed wrong or broken" lol

There's no such thing as perfect audio amplification though... the differences to perfect, and the ability to swing (slew) the voltage under demand are ways in which amps sound different... there are so many different types of amp, you can't simply say "they all sound the same unless they are designed wrong or broken" lol

I'm willing to go as far as saying that most amps aren't perfect...but there shouldn't be any obvious differences between two properly designed amps regardless of how they are made.

Nice set up you have there road runner.

Have you tried setting that sub on the floor, and what make is that speaker in the corner on the second picture?At first it looked like a older Polk SDA model,but they use the SL tweeters.Still,it is nice and I have an appreciation for older gear.

Edited by Vooduu

• 2 weeks later...

Nice set up you have there road runner.

Have you tried setting that sub on the floor, and what make is that speaker in the corner on the second picture?At first it looked like a older Polk SDA model,but they use the SL tweeters.Still,it is nice and I have an appreciation for older gear.

Its the JL996 Kenwood speakers that come with the system... Its the Spectrum 850 AV Kenwood system.. I had the sub on the floor but I have a male dog that likes to hike his leg on stuff at times when I am away so I put it up there where he wouldnt piss on it.... Its the klipsh reference 12" got it from new egg 400w I think, dont remember but it will rattle the windows and dishs on the shelves in the kitchen...

Its the JL996 Kenwood speakers that come with the system... Its the Spectrum 850 AV Kenwood system.. I had the sub on the floor but I have a male dog that likes to hike his leg on stuff at times when I am away so I put it up there where he wouldnt piss on it.... Its the klipsh reference 12" got it from new egg 400w I think, dont remember but it will rattle the windows and dishs on the shelves in the kitchen...

I would piledrive that dog so hard I would rattle the windows and dishes if I had your equipment and the dog even thought about hiking up his leg on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCHNG9hhNQ

Edited by Fogel

I would piledrive that dog so hard I would rattle the windows and dishes if I had your equipment and the dog even thought about hiking up his leg on it.

LMAO.. He didnt get a chance to get the sub but he has gotten the covers of the big speakers long ago... Wont be no more male dogs for sure...

I'm willing to go as far as saying that most amps aren't perfect...but there shouldn't be any obvious differences between two properly designed amps regardless of how they are made.

So between all the classes of amps, all the possible components, solid-state or valve, you're saying they all perform and sound the same...

What I am saying is that amps can be designed well, but some can deliver massive transients better than others, and therefore deliver better sound (both higher detail and more dynamic sound)...

You simply can't say that a Class-D car amp delivers the same quality sound as a Class-A stereo amp (whether integrated or pre/power). Granted the difference is minute compared to source and speaker, but I don't think you can dismiss an entire industry of audio amplification as unnecessary, lol.

So between all the classes of amps, all the possible components, solid-state or valve, you're saying they all perform and sound the same...

What I am saying is that amps can be designed well, but some can deliver massive transients better than others, and therefore deliver better sound (both higher detail and more dynamic sound)...

You simply can't say that a Class-D car amp delivers the same quality sound as a Class-A stereo amp (whether integrated or pre/power). Granted the difference is minute compared to source and speaker, but I don't think you can dismiss an entire industry of audio amplification as unnecessary, lol.

I'm not saying they all perform about the same - I'm saying a properly designed amp will sound pretty much identical to any other properly designed amp. :cheers:

The biggest issue with many amplifiers is that, like you've mentioned, they cannot swing the output voltage/current fast enough to accurately reproduce transient bursts of sound. Assuming they can do that with an appreciably high noise floor and they don't have any weird harmonics because of their design - they should sound pretty much the same as any other good amp.

My real point is that some people swear by tubes, some swear by solid state, but all other things being equal - they'll produce essentially the same sounds within their optimal operating range. Push them too hard and you'll hear the differences pretty quickly. :)

As for Class D (or T, whatever they call the full-range ones now) versus Class A or A/B - no, I don't think you'll be able to hear the differences as long as there aren't any glaring flaws in either amplifier. Like you said, speaker, room, and source distortion is going to be far higher than any good amplifier.

• 3 weeks later...

well, i just got a set of corsair sp2500s, they may not be much compared to some of your home theater systems, but these are damn loud

i can drown out the 5.1 home theater system that is downstairs, from upstairs with these, at 70 percent volume.

i like them already

Give me two months tops and I will make; 8 2400x1200x12mm sheets of mdf and 1 1200x800x19mm sheet of pine along with 20 1200x24x24mm cedar posts, do something beautiful with 12 6" midrange/woofer cones and 12 1" dome tweeters from Hertz as well as two 12" 300 watt RMS subs and two 1200watt 4ch amps and a Silverstone L-13B.

Parts should start to be purchased next weekend :evilgrin: