Phenom II X4 980 Processor from AMD Tested

Lol, Drdeath has a way with people.

Guest_Jim, are you using the latest BIOS? Some screenshots of your BIOS settings would also help. Also, there may be some trouble with voltages and/or readings and what not due to the 4th core being unlocked.

I have the latest BIOS and will get pictures soon. I admit it had not occurred to me that the fourth core could be causing the voltages to not be read right.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of posting images (and taking up my webspace), I'll just type out all the settings, except for the different RAM timings, because that would take soooo long. All of the clocks are auto though, except for the 4 given in the sig, because I have no idea what they should be.

Also, I didn't realize I had both CnQ and C1E disabled. I know at one point I had left them enabled with an overclock and had no issues. Not sure when I changed them to disabled.

Anyhow:

CPU Overclocking: Manual

CPU.HT Reference Clock: 200

GPU Overclocking: Auto

PCIE Overclocking: Manual

PCIE Clock: 105

Processor Frequency Multiplier: 17.0

CPU/NB Frequency: 11.00

CPU Overvoltage: was 1.45, now trying 1.44375, to test again if I can go lower. So far so good.

VDDNB Over Voltage: Auto

CPU VDDA Voltage: Auto

LoadLine Calibration: Auto

H(yper) T(ransport) Link Frequency: 2200MHz

HT Link Width: Auto

HT Over Voltage: Auto

Memory Clock Mode: Manual

Memclock Value: 800MHz

DRAM Timing mode: Both

Timings

Memory OverVoltage: Auto

Chipset Overvoltage: Auto

SB Over Voltage: Auto

That's all under the JumperFree Configuration menu. This next part is the CPU configuration stuff"

Microcode Updation: Enabled

Secure Virtual Machine Mode: Disabled

Cool 'n' Quiet: Disabled

ACPI SRAT Table: Enabled

Probe Filter: Auto

C1E Support: Disabled

Advanced Clock Calibration: All Cores

Unleashing Mode: Enabled

Active CPU Cores: Auto

That's everything I can think of that would be of interest. If you need/want more, just ask. For now I think I'll keep trying to drop the voltage, or try a higher overclock... we'll see. I admit though, I can't figure out why it was throwing errors before but now it fine with the lower voltage. I guess a few weeks, since I last messed with that, can help.

Well, it's been a while since I messed with the 720 BE's. However, to get higher overclocks, I needed a lot more voltage, i.e. 3.6GHz with 1.4625v's and 3.7GHz with 1.5125v's.

This is a good reference: http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/475649-amd-phenom-ii-x3-700-series.html

Your NB and HT frequency's good. Everything else looks okay so far. Try increasing your CPU voltages to hit higher overclocks.

Small update. I had tried dropping the voltage down two notches and it would occasionally restart on me. So I upped it by one notch (something like 1.44375 or something. Just below the 1.45 I had it at) and no restarts, but one program kept crashing (Windows Live Mesh, a background program; games were fine, just this had issues) so I have it back at 1.45v, but nothing registers it getting that high.

• 2 weeks later...