Phenom II X4 980 Processor from AMD Tested

It was at 1.6V. I have been running phenoms on water up to 1.6V for years. CPUZ shows 1.64 for some reason. Temps never go over 55. Its all good. I did a dice run too at 5.5GHz+/

What's up with that? According to AOD the voltage is 1.3250 on my computer, both current and target, while CPUz and PC-Probe (a utility that came with the motherboard) both agree at around 1.376-1.392 and the TurboV utility (again, with motherboard) says I have it set to 1.45, which I'm pretty sure is correct. This has always annoyed me, because the computer won't boot if the voltage is less than 1.45V, even though it never pulls above 1.4, or so (I'm folding on all cores right now, with Firefox 6.0a, Adobe Reader, and Thunderbird open and task manager reports 97% usage, but the voltage is below 1.4, so I doubt it actually gets much higher). This is why I think it's the motherboard that is keeping my overclock as low as it is. It's still a good build, but I wish I could get that more out of it I know is there.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the 980 is a good chip the 955 Black Edition is now priced from AMD at $117! That is a freaking STEAL!!!!

Def a steal, especially from a "bang for your buck" standpoint! But, heck they have been going used for under $100 for awihle now! I know I got one off of my local CL like 10 months ago for $80 ;)

<BR>While the 980 is a good chip the 955 Black Edition is now priced from AMD at $117! That is a freaking STEAL!!!!<BR>

Ya thats good. They musthave a lot they are getting rid of.

Edited by Drdeath

I stand corrected! Any SS of the 4.5GHz stable?

Nah... At 4.7 don't ya think 4.5 was stable......cheers.gifcheers.gif

I have a 7 hour run on the 890GX Extreme 4. The Deluxe 5 got 3 hour on 4.5GHz.

Edited by Drdeath

What's up with that? According to AOD the voltage is 1.3250 on my computer, both current and target, while CPUz and PC-Probe (a utility that came with the motherboard) both agree at around 1.376-1.392 and the TurboV utility (again, with motherboard) says I have it set to 1.45, which I'm pretty sure is correct. This has always annoyed me, because the computer won't boot if the voltage is less than 1.45V, even though it never pulls above 1.4, or so (I'm folding on all cores right now, with Firefox 6.0a, Adobe Reader, and Thunderbird open and task manager reports 97% usage, but the voltage is below 1.4, so I doubt it actually gets much higher). This is why I think it's the motherboard that is keeping my overclock as low as it is. It's still a good build, but I wish I could get that more out of it I know is there.

You have cool n quiet disabled and C1E also disable all power saving features. AOD is the worst for overclocking BTW.

You have cool n quiet disabled and C1E also disable all power saving features. AOD is the worst for overclocking BTW.

I don't use AOD to overclock, just read what it reports for the post earlier.

Let me think... I believe Cool n Quiet is still enabled because when I've tried turning it off there was no benefit. I believe I did the same with C1E and got the same result of no change, but I can't remember for certain. Doesn't really matter though, because I'm always folding, so the power saving features should never activate.

On the other hand, I can remember a time back with a different overclock than I have now that the multiplier was dropping to 4x, which CnQ does, but there were never any issues from it.

When I was first playing around with setting the voltage to something other than Auto I tried disabling the power features, and there was no effect on my system, so I've left it. It seems more to me that the board doesn't actually know what it's giving the CPU. I don't want to put it higher, just because when in Windows it's lower than what I've entered in the BIOS, just in case it decides to actually go that high and fry something.

Let me ask this, does anyone else experience something like this, where the BIOS is set higher than what something like CPUz reports, but the system will not boot with a lower voltage?

I don't use AOD to overclock, just read what it reports for the post earlier.

Let me think... I believe Cool n Quiet is still enabled because when I've tried turning it off there was no benefit. I believe I did the same with C1E and got the same result of no change, but I can't remember for certain. Doesn't really matter though, because I'm always folding, so the power saving features should never activate.

On the other hand, I can remember a time back with a different overclock than I have now that the multiplier was dropping to 4x, which CnQ does, but there were never any issues from it.

When I was first playing around with setting the voltage to something other than Auto I tried disabling the power features, and there was no effect on my system, so I've left it. It seems more to me that the board doesn't actually know what it's giving the CPU. I don't want to put it higher, just because when in Windows it's lower than what I've entered in the BIOS, just in case it decides to actually go that high and fry something.

Let me ask this, does anyone else experience something like this, where the BIOS is set higher than what something like CPUz reports, but the system will not boot with a lower voltage?

Cool n quiet inhibits overclocking same with C1E. Do not use AOD. It will not overclock as good as the bios

Edited by Drdeath

Cool n quiet inhibits overclocking same with C1E. Do not use AOD. It will not overclock as good as the bios

Again, I DO NOT use AOD to overclock.

Also, when I looked up CnQ just yesterday what I found was that not everyone has issue with it. Also, what I'm talking about IS NOT any inhibiting of the overclock, it is the the voltage in the BIOS being so high when it never appears to get that high, according to any monitoring software I use. I HAVE disabled both to try to fix this in the past and it did NOTHING to help.

Please stop repeating yourself because it is not a solution in this case as it has previously been explored and did not help. If you really want though, I can run the experiment, again, but that will have to wait, as I haven't the time to right now.

My MSI motherboard's LLC fluctuates too high. My PhenomMSRTweaker at 1.50v gets to 1.552v in CPU-Z. My memory's holding me back on trying to overclock via bus speed. Oh well, I'm content with 4.2GHz at the 1.55v threshold.

Again, I DO NOT use AOD to overclock.

Also, when I looked up CnQ just yesterday what I found was that not everyone has issue with it. Also, what I'm talking about IS NOT any inhibiting of the overclock, it is the the voltage in the BIOS being so high when it never appears to get that high, according to any monitoring software I use. I HAVE disabled both to try to fix this in the past and it did NOTHING to help.

Please stop repeating yourself because it is not a solution in this case as it has previously been explored and did not help. If you really want though, I can run the experiment, again, but that will have to wait, as I haven't the time to right now.

Your on your own pal. I gave you a start and you do not listen.

Edited by Drdeath

Your on your own pal. I gave you a start and you do not listen.

You gave me a start that I've already tried, as I stated twice earlier, and will try again, also as I stated earlier.

Thank you for deciding to no longer help me as dismissing what I have said and already done is completely useless and insulting to my intelligence. Thanks again!

Lol, Drdeath has a way with people.

Guest_Jim, are you using the latest BIOS? Some screenshots of your BIOS settings would also help. Also, there may be some trouble with voltages and/or readings and what not due to the 4th core being unlocked.