Motherboard Help

RazerZ

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Otherwise when the usb is not in the system it boots to the recovery screen.

Are you absolutely certain that the flash drive isn't boogered.  Did you format the entire flash drive before copying the BIOS onto the flash drive? 

The USB flash drive has to be formatted FAT16 or FAT32 and it can only have a single partition on it. 

Of course you might have bricked the BIOS chip, but that doesn't necessarily mean the whole board is bricked. 

Yes I'm sure. I've tried it with two different USBs, both very reliable, and the same problem happened with each of them. Both were formatted to FAT32.

So buying a new BIOS chip would fix my problem?

Edited by RazerZ

Well before I order the BIOS chip, I thought of an idea and I'm not sure if this could be true or not.

When my system was working it would boot to windows, but when I tried opening an application such as google chrome, or running a game, it would crash shortly after. Could this be due to a bad PSU?

What if my system is crashing when I try to update the BIOS because of a bad PSU? Is that a possibility?

Edited by RazerZ

Certainly, do you have access to a multimeter?

Yes I do.

Alright, then with the computer running check and see what the voltage are for the 12V, 5V and 3.3V rails by connecting the meter to

the yellow and black cable s from a molex for 12V, red and black cables for 5V and you can find the 3.3V reading from an SATA power cable.

Here's some diagrams to help illustrate what I mean:

Molex (connect your black probe to the contact that the ground comes out at, and alternate between the yellow or red contacts for 12V and 5V respectively):

molex.gif

SATA:

Serial+ATA+Connector.jpg

Yes it is safe but you have to jumper 2 pins to make the psu work, just google it to find out what pins, I forgot, the only problem is your psu won't have any load if it's not connected to a mb or hd's so you may not get a proper voltage reading, everything might seem fine until it's under load and then that's when the psu will drop voltage.