Cache buffer flushing

Braegnok

I started upgrading my drives four days ago, and have been trying different configurations for best performance. I found the option to Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing and Enable write caching. :dunno:

I know Intel recommends against disabling write cache buffer flushing on it's SSDs due to Intel's proprietary architecture. I'm guessing performance would be higher disabling flushing, by skipping that extra command to flush the internal buffer. Performance should  increase.

So do Intel SSDs take a performance hit by Enabling flushing, or does Intel's architecture prevent the flushing while running large programs?

Has anyone tried this setting?

What was your experience with it?

I spent the week testing 20 drives, that I borrowed from our tech support at work. 64G, 120G, 256G, 480G, 512G. Samsung, OCZ, and Crucial SSD's

running stand alone setup, and in RAID 0, 5, 10,..  I was surprised with the different performance levels in different configurations.

I used AS SSD Benchmark utility, testing all the configurations, learned a lot about different settings. The prices were the biggest surprise even with my discount the price on a four 512G array or  the RevoDrive 480G is way over my budget.

So looks like I'll be replacing my three year old 1TB F1 HDD's , and buying a new Samsung 840 256GB boot drive,

The 480G RevoDrive is crazy fast, but takes 45 sec to boot Windows, by adding a boot drive will boot in 7 sec.

Edited by Braegnok

I wore out my Windows disk,.. No I never tried any RAID set ups except 0. and had some time to kill, thought I'd see how some other setups performed.

Edited by Braegnok

The OCZ 480G RevoDrive was the fastest, then second was Samsung 256G, 512G. in all RAID or stand alone benchmarks.

The OCZ Vertex-4 drives were the slowest in all configurations.

Edited by Braegnok

The RevoDrive is a SOB to configure as a boot drive off the PCI-E 3.0 slot, use a X16 slot if you can, you will get faster performance.

I first tested it in a X2 slot stand alone took 45 sec to boot Windows, then moved it down to my bottom X16 slot, added a 256G boot drive and boot time went to 7 sec. plus saw a huge performance increase, up to 1329 read & 872 write with 2045 over all. Was faster than four 512G SSD in RAID-0. I run large files with Autodesk 3ds MAX or Auto CAD for hours after work or on weekends,.. the RevoDrive will load off a hot swap 500GB drive like a scalded ape.

Edited by Braegnok

Brae - if you do end up going with the Samsung 840 drive it might make sense to invest in the 840 Pro model instead of the base model.  The Pro model has better sustained write speeds if you do any heavy writing.  The pro version also uses MLC memory versus the TLC memory used in the standard model.

I also think there will be some early evidence that you won't get the same number of write / erase cycles out of the TLC modules that we are used to seeing with the MLC modules now.