Mac Benchmarks: XBench

d3bruts1d

There are a growing number of people @ OCC that are using a Macthese days. Figured we could start our own Benchmark topic. :D

You'll need to use XBench, as that looks like about the only benchmark application available. It's not as cool as 3DMark or AquaMark, but it'll do. They also have a result comparison site @ db.xbench.com so you can compare your system against other people with similar specs.

My system:

MacMini - Score: 135.97 136.69

1.83GHz Core 2 Duo

2G DDR2 667

320G HDD (WDC WD3200BEKT-22F3T0) - Journaled HFS+

Test 1 | Test 2

post-717-1233496531_thumb.png post-717-1233496886_thumb.png

Not bad, considering the Intel Mac Mini average is 97.27. Might have something to do with me replacing the HDD and Memory myself. :D

*Edit* Just ran it again after disabling TimeMachine, MobileMe, and a couple of other services... slight increase in score.

I will run this later on both my MacBook (non-pro) and my iMac. My iMac is the current gen and my MacBook is the white 13" that just got replaced by the lowest end "Unibody" MacBooks. They are still selling the most basic MacBook in white. At the time of release of the new unibody MacBooks, the low-end white was the only one with unchanged specs as--they recently changed that and beefed up the entry level MacBook quite a bit. My white MacBook is the one that was replaced by the lowest-end unibody aluminum MacBook. The unibody version of mine has a slower CPU clock speed but a higher FSB. Mine has a faster CPU clock but a slower FSB. The newer, slower clocked, unibody version benches higher on all of the reviews that I have read. I assume it's because of the FSB boost. The unibody replacement of mine also has an nVidia 9400M while mine sports the Intel X3100 GPU. Mine is running RAM at 667MHz and I think that the new ones run at 800MHz or 1066MHz (It also may be DDR3, I'm pretty confident that the new MacBook Pros are using DDR3, though). Mine has runs a 2.4GHz C2D and the new one has a 2GHz C2D (those are very good clock speeds for laptops in any case). I wish that we had both gens so could compare performance between each. My iMac is the current gen, as I said before, but I bought it refurbished, so it has a bit lower specs that the ones that are on the shelves right now.

Thanks, D3, for this idea. Kash and I are also very avid Mac users, even though I still love PCs. In fact, I have been able to run the Win7 beta 64-bit on my MacBook using Boot Camp. Apple has said that it won't work, but it does for me. Windows 7 looks to be a good improvement to Vista, but I hate that they have made it even harder to find control panel options and other snap-ins. They could have just left that stuff alone and stayed with the XP style.

More to come...

That was a fast benchmark. I got a score of 131.80 and the average Macbook Core2Duo score is 94.12. Must have something to do with the upgraded hard drive and memory :P