CAD...where to start?

Il_napoletano

It really depends on what field of work interest you, or what your work is focused on.  

AutoCad is the standard for a lot of things like architectural design, but in my industry Solidworks is even more prevalent in rendering small yet complex objects.  I personally use a simple program, bobcad, everyday at work.  I use it for laying out then nesting parts (bobnest)  into a sheet of material and then writing the g-code for the cam software to cut out my parts on my cnc router.  

For something cheap, google sketchup or autocad lite are good, but what you learn in each isn't necessarily transferable, so start with what you need for your end game.

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest you try PTC Creo first they have a Free 30 day trial, you can play around with it see if your rig can handle the graphics, if you enjoy it then I would upgrade to the PTC Creo Parametric Full Pro 3D CAD Version.

download : http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/free/download:htm 

Edit : our site changed the address I typed? but it still will get you there,.. so after clicking on link above then click on PTC.COM Site Guide, then click 3D CAD Software, then the (try it for free)

Enjoy :cheers:

Edited by Braegnok