Why do we have an IRC?

Deathmineral

Like the title says... why do we have an IRC? Nobody really uses it except for people that are looking for help it seems, and since they're the only ones using it, they typically do not receive help. Personally, I idle in it but I usually end up missing most people that come into the IRC for the very small 1-2 minute window that they do. I helped one guy in it just now, but there's probably three newbies that pop in there each week that I've missed.

I guess I'm just wondering if having an IRC is a good idea or not, seems like it could give the wrong impression when people go in there asking for help and don't get a response.

Someone a while ago mentioned something about another site, also using IP Board, that had a shoutbox.

It was embedded into the right hand side of the page and worked like IRC however was integrated into all the pages of the forum.

Go ahead get us all excited about it again and about 10 of us will use IRC for about a month, then for no apparent reason just stop using it.

Happens at least twice a year.

:P

I thought about it but I know what you say is going to be the result so there's no point in me doing it. That's why I simply ended up asking the question that I did, maybe we just need to get rid of it.