New Gun

Onion

If you are talking about the J-Frame internal hammer S&W's I wouldnt recommend one as your only carry. I wanted the S&W "hammerless " Airweight 38 revolver for ages until I shot my sisters (we all carry...). IT has tons of benefits - doesn't get much more reliable then a revolver, very small and lightweight, wont snag when pulling, ammo is dirt cheap, and the guns themselves are inexpensive. For a carry though the negatives outweighed it for me. Multiple shots are inaccurate from even inside the 10yd situation most incidents occur in since it jumps between shots, extremely heavy trigger, too small for my long hands(personal issue), and surprising kick for such a small caliber due to the extremely light weight and snub nose. It is not really inaccurate per se, but just not as consistent as I would like. In all honesty more time with it would help a lot, but I was not willing to spend the time with it.

If you do get one for a CCW, please make sure its not the newer model with the internal lock.

Personally, I'll stick my my 1911's.

Edited by Puck

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go shoot some and see how I like it. I'm talking to someone with a Taurus model 85 in .38. What do you guys think about it? I know it'll be a little lower quality than a smith and wesson or ruger, but they're still good guns, right?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=317&category=Revolver

CJ, Ruger LCR in .357 would be my first choice, they're great guns. I got to hold one and it feels really nice in the hand. 

Edited by Onion

78cpg.jpg

Smith and Wesson model 686! I'm trading my 9mm with 300 rounds of ammo for it. Picking it up tomorrow morning. It seems like the grips are really nice, so I'm sure there won't be any problems hanging onto it. The handle is also bigger than the other snub nose guns I was looking at, so that's another plus. I'm excited to take it to the range!

i cant believe i missed this whole debate......

o well there is always next time

good choice on the revolver though, i like to carry my 38 more than my 1911, sometimes i worry about carrying semi auto guns with a full mag, i fell like it wears the spring in the mag unnecessarily, leaving it full pretty much all the time

...but but but,, the 357mag muzzle velocity is sic and it takes 38spl and +p, ?? why wouldn't i ?? ...even a badly aimed shot that hit like anywhere would give a perp pause...can a 357mag fit into a 38 spl ? idk but would the cylinder hold up for long ? even the plain ol standard 158gr s&w"s are hard to hold on to in a snubbie,...there was a time when i never left the house with out my tuned and balanced 686 s&w 357 and sometimes i miss that sweetness...(i'm giving the chiappa 200ds 357 some serious consideration right now) ; )...

.38 handguns can't take .357 because the .357 cartridge is too long. .357s can take .38 because it's the same diameter, just a little shorter. Back in the day, the K frame revolvers from S&W were advertised as .357 revolvers, but the frames would crack and get damaged. They then beefed it up and released the new ones as the L frame. Now the L frame is the .357 one and they bumped the K frame down to .38 +p. I'm extremely excited to get my hands on it today!

i cant believe i missed this whole debate......

o well there is always next time

good choice on the revolver though, i like to carry my 38 more than my 1911, sometimes i worry about carrying semi auto guns with a full mag, i fell like it wears the spring in the mag unnecessarily, leaving it full pretty much all the time

Leaving mags loaded doesn't wear out the spring.  Springs only get worn out from actual use. 

Leaving mags loaded doesn't wear out the spring.  Springs only get worn out from actual use. 

Agreed, mags don't just wear out when they sit around loaded.