New Gun

Onion

@kyfire, now I'm seeing it a bit more clearly. It boils down more to carry what you shoot best rather than carry what's the most powerful, right?

@cap, I'm sold. 38 +p snubbie it is.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW..since I brought up you being in FL.....Something else to consider is that FL's CCDW only gives you the right to carry NOT to use it! :)

I really don't want to use it, so if I do pull it out, it definitely will be justified.

Glad they got you squared away. The reason i was saying that i would take either over the 9 is simply the possibility of a heavier bullet. At self defense ranges the difference in power will be negligible. Like kyfire said a few well placed .22 shots can stop someone a lot quicker than 1 or more .50 cal shots.

I personally wouldn't carry a revolver for self defense, I feel more comfortable with a double stack glock =p , but you came to the right conclusion that you should carry what you shoot best because when the fit hits the shan that is what is going to count.

Glad they got you squared away. The reason i was saying that i would take either over the 9 is simply the possibility of a heavier bullet. At self defense ranges the difference in power will be negligible. Like kyfire said a few well placed .22 shots can stop someone a lot quicker than 1 or more .50 cal shots.

I personally wouldn't carry a revolver for self defense, I feel more comfortable with a double stack glock =p , but you came to the right conclusion that you should carry what you shoot best because when the fit hits the shan that is what is going to count.

I shoot the 9 decently well, but like any beginner, I need more practice. If a 22 can be just as effective, why do people even bother with high caliber guns?

A revolver's capacity is a pretty big disadvantage when comparing it to a double stack mag, but my 9mm only takes 7 rounds, and 8 with the extended mag which I don't use. The revolver would take 5, so it's not that big a deal. I'll shoot a .38 revolver sometime soon and make my decision. I'm really hoping I like it because I have a real soft spot for revolvers. 

I shoot the 9 decently well, but like any beginner, I need more practice. If a 22 can be just as effective, why do people even bother with high caliber guns?

A revolver's capacity is a pretty big disadvantage when comparing it to a double stack mag, but my 9mm only takes 7 rounds, and 8 with the extended mag which I don't use. The revolver would take 5, so it's not that big a deal. I'll shoot a .38 revolver sometime soon and make my decision. I'm really hoping I like it because I have a real soft spot for revolvers. 

"Why do people even bother with high caliber guns?"

Why do you want a sports car? Or an overclocked pc?

But seriously, in this case bigger can be better. I say that because probably 90% of ccw holders don't practice as much as they ought and therefore that lucky shot we hope they get in needs to count for the most damage it can. And even the best range shooter an go to pieces when in a self defense situation. Sure you could take out your attacker with a .22, but with a 38 your kill zone is a good bit bigger and thus easier to hit.

I have a 22 SA now and plan to get a 357 revolver that can handle it all, simply for the sake of versatility myself. But that won't be for a while since there's nowhere around me that's reasonable to shoot at...heck I haven't even been able to try out my rifle because no public ranges near us are outside to accommodate them :-/

A .22 can kill but you need to hit something vital, larger calibers will create much more of a 'shock cavity' as the bullet enter/exits the medium, which is obviously much more devastating than a tiny 22 sized bullet cavity.

The larger calibers don't just create a cavity (hole the size of the bullet but they create a huge shockwave destruction zone too.

Look at these comparisons:

VS.

A .357 can shoot .357 and 38 special.  A 38 special can't shoot .357.  Go for a .357 imo.

Another disadvantage of a revolver is the heavy trigger pull.  If you have to pull your weapon are you going to have time to cock it for the more crisp and accurate shot?  Probably not.  On the plus side a revolver won't jam.

A .357 can shoot .357 and 38 special. A 38 special can't shoot .357. Go for a .357 imo.

Another disadvantage of a revolver is the heavy trigger pull. If you have to pull your weapon are you going to have time to cock it for the more crisp and accurate shot? Probably not. On the plus side a revolver won't jam.

That's why I wanted the 357, for the versatility. Personally, I like the long heavy trigger pull better. It helps me control the flinch a lot better than a shorter trigger pull. I kept flinching with the Smith and Wesson when I first got it just because I wasn't used to it. When I learned to shoot with a glock that had a longer pull, I controlled it a lot better. Also, I won't be cocking at all, the revolvers I'm looking at have internal hammers.