cooler master hyper 212 plus

asus p7p55d-e deluxe

2x4gb corsair dominator 1333

radeon hd6870

xfx 750w extreme black edition

My temperatures @ stock:

about 35º- 40º idle

max 70º 100%

Thing is, I have tried overclocking all the way from 4.1ghz to 3.5ghz and even at 3.5ghz my temperatures go all the way up to 95ºC more or less while running prime 95.

I have tried lowering the voltage, did not help.

I ran the auto overclock function on my board, it got a stable 3.89ghz but the temperatures still went all the way up to 95ºC more or less.

any ideas? is the hyper 212 just not good enough for overclocking? (even just 0.5ghz)?

my friend tried the same cooler you have on his 2500k at stock speed when running prime 95 and it still ran in the high 70's. he ended up getting one of the corsair hydro series ccoolers. you may need to re-aply your thermal paste. also theres a thread at the top of this forum with cpu temps posted. that may help to see if thats a normal temp. also let us know what software your using to monitor temps.

Edited by rieds

I would get a Different cooler for Overclocking. 95c is pushing that chip a little too Far. What kind of results are you looking for with your overclock?? Let us know how far you want to push the envelope and we can give you a better Idea of what direction to go.

I was thinking about like 3.8? I see a lot of people pushing it to 4.1 - 4.2 but I don't think that would work out too well with the hyper 212.

My room temperature is 19ºC - 25ºC.

I just think it's weird that without overclocking, I don't get past 70º while heavy stress testing, but as soon as I overclock it to 3.5 (0.57ghz overclock) it jumps up to 90ºC +, even without incresing voltage.

I have seen tests manage 3.8ghz without increasing voltage. am I doing something terribly wrong?

Guest Black gold saw.

My Thermalright silver arrow only did 4.22GHZ on my core i7 920 @ 1.32V.

43C idle and 74C max load....

My hyper 212+ Takes my 2500K to 4.6GHZ 1.325V 37C idle and 67C load.

I was thinking about like 3.8? I see a lot of people pushing it to 4.1 - 4.2 but I don't think that would work out too well with the hyper 212.

My room temperature is 19ºC - 25ºC.

I just think it's weird that without overclocking, I don't get past 70º while heavy stress testing, but as soon as I overclock it to 3.5 (0.57ghz overclock) it jumps up to 90ºC +, even without incresing voltage.

I have seen tests manage 3.8ghz without increasing voltage. am I doing something terribly wrong?

Your cooler Just may have a defective heat pipe. Once you get to a certain heat build-up the cooler cannot cycle the heat out properly. Sense you are really not going for much of an extreme OC then you could get away with anything from a Hyper 212 Evo to self contained water cooling. It will depend heavily on what kind of case that you have but this should get you started. Let us know and we can even better recommend. For the Corsair Liquid cooling solutions all you need is a Case that has a top or rear most facing 120mm fan hole. :D

I would recommend One of these coolers from the list.

Prolimatech selection

Corsair self contained Water cooling units

you said you used auto overclock. auto overclock may raise your v-core voltage according to your clock speed. i'm not famaliar with the overclock settings on that board so i don't know if thats the case or not. you can try setting your v-core voltage manually and running prime 95 to find the lowest voltage you can use for your clock speed and still be stable. that should lower your temps some. i'm running my processor at 4.4 and if i leave the v-core in auto it will set it at 1.45 but by setting it manually and doing some stress testing with prime 95 i'm stable at 1.41. that made about a 7 deg difference in temp.