NH-D14 CPU Cooler from Noctua Evaluated

Nemo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review of a nice product. Not sure I'd want a kilo plus hanging off my motherboard, but it still looks like a hell of a cooler. And I thought my Megahalems was big! This sucker is massive!

At least it's a bolt-down cooler. My old Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ had one of these on it:

aerocool-dp102.jpg

Aerocool DP-102

Well over a kilogram and it was only attached by clips! I had to wire it up to keep it from pulling off my board when upright. :lol:

Edited by Waco

At least it's a bolt-down cooler. My old Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ had one of these on it:

aerocool-dp102.jpg

Aerocool DP-102

Well over a kilogram and it was only attached by clips! I had to wire it up to keep it from pulling off my board when upright. :lol:

Christ, you're much braver than I! Although I was certainly pleased that Noctua made the (right) decision and provided their massive new cooler with a bolt-thru kit. Why manufacturers continue to use anything but a bolt-thru kit is beyond me. I understand it's a little more expensive... but seriously... if I'm putting out a product it's going to be the best I can put out, and that certainly does not include a plastic push-pin mounting mechanism!

How's its performance with just the single fan in the middle? If I understand correctly, removing the 12cm fan on the outside will give room for tall ram heatsinks right?

It will depend on the motherboard. If I remove the outside fan on my MSI board I will be able to use tall modules.

What fans are you running on the true Frank?

I am using the stock fan that came with it. 68CFM if I remember right. I test as delivered so I show what they do out of the box! You can improve upon the performance of all of these heatsinks with higher CFM fans but I am quite impressed with the temperatures at 4.2GHz.

Christ, you're much braver than I! Although I was certainly pleased that Noctua made the (right) decision and provided their massive new cooler with a bolt-thru kit. Why manufacturers continue to use anything but a bolt-thru kit is beyond me. I understand it's a little more expensive... but seriously... if I'm putting out a product it's going to be the best I can put out, and that certainly does not include a plastic push-pin mounting mechanism!

I agree, like it's understandable (somewhat) for lower priced coolers but I hate when the pricier ones cut that corner and have the push-pin crap

I prefer a bolt in! What I like about the Noctua is the positive stop mounting system. Thermalright has theirs and Swiftech does with their latest water blocks. It makes it so you get the same mount every time. Although I will give the nod to Noctua for the ease of installation. Trying to get the last screws in on the TRUE can be a pain sometimes!

I just made a bunch of small changes on my setup, I lapped my cpu and heatsink, got a new case with a 200mm top exhaust, changed the heatsink orientation to point up, took the stock thermalright fan off and replaced it with a scythe gentletyphoon, and got a bolt-on kit for my Cogage TRUE spirit, and the sum of all these made my temps sooo much better, I'd be interested in knowing how a lapped NH-D14 does.