Multi-GPU Performance Evaluation

Nemo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the 4850 crossfire setup was clearly trumped by every other crossfire/sli combination tested, we have to keep the test results in perspective. Not everyone is going to (or can afford to) splurge on a 30" monitor in order to realize the monsterous horsepower of some of these cards.

For many casual gamers who are still playing on a 20-24" monitor a 4850 crossfire setup is still powerful enough to play most of todays games at the LCD's native resolution and medium-high quality settings. And if you can pick up two 4850's for a little over $200 that's not too bad a deal IMHO.

Personally I don't have a grand to spend on video cards and another grand for a monitor :(

you have a point there but if unless they couldn't afford two 4850s at once the 4850x2 provided better results than the 4850 crossfire (no doubt due to the extra memory) but really the 4850x2 is a better deal than two 4850s.

I enjoyed the review but Bosco's Thoughts were fairly biased. Why would I want to read blatantly biased reviews? Especially from someone who cares more about folding than what the graphics cards were really meant to do?

I enjoyed the review but Bosco's Thoughts were fairly biased. Why would I want to read blatantly biased reviews? Especially from someone who cares more about folding than what the graphics cards were really meant to do?

I think the figures speak for themselves!

Are you trying to tell me that graphics cards were not originally designed for folding. Well I never. ;)

Gaming or folding I suspect they make use of basically the same things. Whats great for folding will be great for gaming and vice versa?

Cheers

Paul

You do this on your first post?

I just carefully read Bosco's section for the second time now. It is biased, that's true, but it has extremely valid and well-known reasons why it is. He isn't just biased towards NVidia because he feels they're better graphics cards. He's biased towards NVidia because the results from the evaluation, real-world uses he has, and previous examples prove that NVidia is currently the leader. He pointed out severl strong reasons why NVidia leads the pack and why his favor lies with them.

O, another thing, the review wasn't written by Bosco, it was written by ccokeman. The only portion by Bosco is his short summary in the conclusion. The evaluation is not blatantly biased, you can't be biased when you're reporting hard numbers...

Since you are new here I will explain a few things to you. I love to game and I love to fold everyone here knows that. Being that you just joined you would not know that so I will not be rude to you in anyway.

I wrote out why I like NVIDIA its pretty cut and dry I never beat around the bush.

I have enjoyed playing around with VReveal which is something else ATI can't do. I am tired of ATI not being able to either do the samething's or are not consistant performance wise. Its getting old real quick and anyone that knows me know that I stand behind my beliefs. :)

I have been vocal about this in the past and I will continue to do until something changes.

you have a point there but if unless they couldn't afford two 4850s at once the 4850x2 provided better results than the 4850 crossfire (no doubt due to the extra memory) but really the 4850x2 is a better deal than two 4850s.

Certainly that is a great consideration and a completely valid point. The jewel of crossfire or sli is that you can pick up one card and then add another down the line when the budget permits. I'll confess, I'd love to have two GTX 285's running in SLI, but the reality for me is that isn't a financially prudent investment (so to speak).

I'll admit it upfront - I purchased a single 4850 for a motherboard review, and it so trumped my 8800GTS that I put the nVidia card in my HTPC and stuck the ATi card in my main rig. Then the upgrade bug bit me and I was compelled to add another 4850 for crossfire.

At least for now my 4850 crossfire rig drives my 24" monitor @ 1920X1200 resolutions at frame rates higher than my monitor can display on all of the games that I regularly play. But I'll give the win to nVidia for driver maturity (because ATi drivers are still pretty flaky most of the time). On the other hand (and it may only be perception) my ATi cards have always trumped nVidia on video quality, whether in games or/and especially in video playback of any format.

Bosco doesn't have any bias to any piece of hardware. OCC receives and reviews the nicest, most up to date hardware on a regular basis and his preferences are based on personal experience and the feedback received from the numerous techs that do hardware reviews for this site. I completely understand why he would prefer the green team over the red team (driver issues alone). It's not that ATi engineers and manufacturing facilities produce inferior products, it's just that it takes them so long to release suitable drivers for their hardware.

Edited by wevsspot

I have enjoyed playing around with VReveal which is something else ATI can't do. I am tired of ATI not being able to either do the samething's or are not consistant performance wise. Its getting old real quick and anyone that knows me know that I stand behind my beliefs. :)

I have to say I agree with that 100%

I have another question though. What cards seemed to scale the best or provide the best performance increase?