Video editing question

Laststop

My sisters boyfriend edits a ton of gameplay for a video game streamer. He routinely has to edit a ton of 1 hour videos like 2 or 3 daily. Videos are 1920x1080p 60 fps. He is in the process of making an x99 build with the new 8 core cpu. He edits video off a 4TB HGST ultrastar 7200. Currently running an i7-980x x58 system. He wants to know if it will be fine to get something like a 1TB samsung 850 pro to edit his video off of or would it be better to wait for sata express drives at gen 2 pcie x2 10gbit or even a gen 3 x4 ultra m2 32gbit.

Basically he wants to know where the bottleneck is in video editing rendering encoding etc. With the 8 core haswell-e + a sata III samsung 850 pro will the bottleneck be with the processor or the SSD? Would getting a sata express SSD make the video editing any faster? If the bottleneck is the sata III SSD and moving to sata express does speed it up would that shift the bottleneck to the cpu then or would going for a gen 3 x4 ultra m2 ssd further increase the speed of editing? Or is the bottleneck always the cpu even with a hard drive? he plans on getting a hgst he6 6TB helium drive.

Basically what speed of drive does he need to maximize the speed of making his videos with an 8 core haswell-e? At what speed of storage does the bottleneck shift from storage speed to processing speed?

He asked me so I'm asking you guys.

Edited by Laststop

I suggest you do a quick read of my workstation guide I wrote a while ago. It's getting a little dated in the video card section but the rest is fine for the most past. Read section 14, 16, 18 and 19. I personally use a SSD for temp / scratch disc and my raid-1 for the work itself. If it's something bigger like 4k footage i'll throw it on my other ssd and than when i'm done i'll put it back on the raid-1 for safe keeping.

either way the bottle neck is going to be the amount of ram and if a temp / scratch disc is being used. We are getting to the point that you can see the difference in encoding times depending where the raw data is being read from. my 1080p 30fps RAW footage is 1GB a min so 30 minute clips spliced up and can see a huge decrease in time when using a really fast hard drive. Just remember SSD also have a problem reading and writing at the same time like traditional hard drives. Instead of waiting for the header on the patter to get into position, SSDs are limited by the controller which is already busy reading or writing and generally can't do both very well at the same time. My ssd drives can drop to 50mb/s when doing simultaneous things so just be aware of that if you aren't using a secondary drive to read all your files and another one for the output, you aren't using using the computer to it's fullest.

• 2 weeks later...