Is it illegal to remove a car boot?

BizaroStormy

I'd say the exact opposite(them vandalizing your property(car)) In teh case where you remove it they could say that you vandalized their property(boot). Better to get the tag and pay the money to get it off. If you want to stick it to the man leave the car there for a while and make them tow it but don't cut it off.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't even charge for the tag so ill get one tomorrow.

I do think it is my right to park here with a up to date tag or not. I pay to park here they are just to lazy to keep their old records up to date with what tags are still valid or not (based on who still lives here) and instead just make you get a new one each year.

So do you pay or not? you said both. It really doesn't matter either way. It's their parking lot and they have a right to require a permit. It is not your right to park on private property regardless of whether you live there or not. They are not required to provide you with a parking space. Besides, they probably have a lot of people moving in and out each year and don't want cars with old permits taking up spaces for current residents. So in reality they could be doing you a favor. You'd probably be complaining if there were a bunch of cars parked there with old permits from people who don't even live there anymore and you couldn't find a parking space.

Basically, pay the fine and quit being lazy because now it has become more of a hassle than it's worth to go get a permit.

It's private property, breaking the boot would make you civilly liable for something called conversion. It would have been a criminal offense if you had gotten the boot while illegally parked in a public spot.

as others have said, its your fault. YOU where lazy not them. As pointed out, if they didnt make you get a new permit each year, chances are people who no longer live there, would be able to park there, using up residents spaces.

So, just pay the penalty for your lazyness.

i apologize in advance.....wait a minute. no i don't. I will not apologize for what i'm about to say. before i get into that, your present situation has a boot on your car. Pay to get it off, buy the sticker. and wake your butt up to do it. problem over. and thats actually the cheapest way to go about it.

........and I didn't want to wake up early.

this caused the problem. you didn't want to wake up early to get the tag. you were lazy. period. and something needed to get done. you didn't do it. you would rather sleep.

I'm definitely going to talk to my complex management tomorrow morning to see if they will get it taken off free of charge sense I actually pay to live here.

so....your were lazy. it caused a problem, and now you want them to fix your problem you caused to happen for free?

If they don't do that I'm not going to renew my contract with them when it runs out in a few months (this place is a real dump anyways).

i'm sure he will be perfectly fine with that because there's always someone out there who will rent that place. Good luck getting your security deposit back as landlords love to be threatened by tennants. it gives them an excuse to take the deposit...."oh, the carpets had to be replaced after your lived there, that's why the deposit is so small"

whats stopping me from going to my local hardware store buying an angle grinder

and a cutting wheel and taking it off myself? would I be breaking any laws? because I have every right to park here, and that boot to me is the same as someone putting a chain on my door and saying that I can't go into my own house unless I pay them. To me the boot itself seems like a means of vandalism because it has disabled and therefore

damaged my vehicle. What if I get hurt and need to get to the hospital or need to go get food at the store?

So what do you guys think?

buying an angle grinder that can do the job is most likely going to cost you more than the fee to remove the boot. Also, that boot is personal property of the company that put it on in the first place. So if you remove it, you become guilty of the destruction of personal property. Police do not like that. neither does a police record when your trying to get a job. You actually did NOT have the right to park there because you did not buy that sticker. Remember the sticker they told you that you needed to have to park there? Well you didn't have it. so you did NOT have the right to park there. What if fyou have to go to the hospital? call the ambulance!! if it's an emergencey, the ambulane is there to take care of your problem. You stated earlier you had to take the bus. well did that get you where you needed to go? im sure a city bus goes past a grocery store. problem solved. oh yeah, can always get a bicycle, those work pretty good. what did you ever do before you had a car? ever go anywhere on your feet or on the pedals?

Look, how much time and cost would it have taken for you to go get that sticker? wake up an hour early, go get the sticker, done. Now you are spending all sorts off time plotting a lawbreaking event that will cost you more than the sticker would have cost you on an angle grinder, and how much time will it take to actually use that angle grinder and get the boot off WITHOUT THE BUILDING MANAGEMENT OR ANYONE ELSE SEEING / HEARING YOU? you start removing a boot someones gonna talk.

you screwed this one up. and you want out of it for free or else you move out? makes no difference. the landlord still gets money form you or someone else. go ahead and move out. i'm sorry but that's how the world works. just wake up and take care of business. the lazy people create a big headache for themselves and everyone else that has to get involved. you do it your way? well the store gets your money for the angle grinder, the police gets their money for the fine to destroy personal property, the boot installer gets money mandated by the courts that you have to pay to replace that boot, and then you will finally have to go wake your butt up and go buy a silly sticker. how much money and time and record adjustment is that going to cost you?

but, you probably never got to the end of this as your sleeping or falling asleep or just too lazy to finish something that needed to be finished. no offense.

Edited by robAP

Probably the best thing to do is call the towing company and try to work something out and if worse comes to worse just pay the fine.

Although it probably feel good to cut it off I doubt it be a good idea because they probably have all your car information down and will likely still make you pay the fine (if not a bigger one) plus the cost of a new wheel lock which costs about $400-$500 dollars a piece and you may also be charged with a crime. So as you can see it could get messy if you cut it off so my advise would be don't do it.

I got the sticker this morning which cost me $25, but was to tired to talk to the management about the problem. Ill just call the company to get it taken off, which is $60.

I'm not going to be renewing my lease here but not for this incident only. I really hate this place and the people that run it, they don't fix anything I ask them to fix.

This place has a really bad reputation around here and has less than 50% occupancy.

Anyways, Thanks for talking me out of putting myself through even more hassle, even though it would be fun at first :P .

now that you have the sticker, you shouldn't pay jack. You have proof that you have the right to park there, and that's all they should be concerned with. It's not like you willingly "rented" that car boot.

It was your fault to begin with but now you have your rights back, and therefore they shouldn't extort $60 dollars from you. Fight them to the very end.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

now that you have the sticker, you shouldn't pay jack. You have proof that you have the right to park there, and that's all they should be concerned with. It's not like you willingly "rented" that car boot.

It was your fault to begin with but now you have your rights back, and therefore they shouldn't extort $60 dollars from you. Fight them to the very end.

Well I tried that but they didn't buy it, but they did give me a $30 discount because I'm a resident and got my new decal so it only cost me 30 so that made me moderately happy considering the situation.

Guess I shouldn't procrastinate so much.

Well I tried that but they didn't buy it, but they did give me a $30 discount because I'm a resident and got my new decal so it only cost me 30 so that made me moderately happy considering the situation.

Guess I shouldn't procrastinate so much.

yeah, I was going to say minimally request a discount. Good job, that's $30 you'll be richer next time :thumbs-up: