Derzelas (NAS) Build

d3athsd00r

Derzelas was a Thracian chtonic god of abundance and the underworld, health and human spirit's vitality. This seemed like a fitting name for my NAS build to hold my media files and other "obtained" files.

It's a pretty budget build but has the potential for future expansion. Here is a link to the parts I purchased last night:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26846307

A quick and dirty as to what the parts are without having to go to the link:

MSI A75MA-P35 Mobo

AMD A6-3670k Quad-core APU

Corasir Builder Series CX430 PSU

WD20EARX 2TB green drive

Rosewill Gigabit ethernet adapter

NZXT Source 210 case

4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM (already have that)

I have another 2TB, a 640GB, and a 750GB drive that I will also be throwing in here as storage drives; along with a 74GB Raptor drive as the OS disk.

The purpose of the Rosewill NIC is only to serve as a promiscuous adapter to catch all traffic flowing across my network and then analyze that traffic with Snort.

I am currently leaning towards either a Proxmox or ESXi VE so I can have my snort box and NAS seperate, and then be able to install some other OS's as I see fit to do testing or just play around with; but I'm not set on that.

One of my alternatives is to configure an Arch Linux or Debian Linux install to work handle all my NAS, Snort, and Usenet downloads (SAB/Sickbeard) and call it a day and not worry about having

another toy to play with.

My final alternative is to Install Windows Server (I have legitimate licenses to multiple versions of Server) and utilize Hyper-V as my virtualizaion solution. But I have a week to decide how I want to implement this.

Parts should come in later this week and work starts early next week on it. Any suggestions, let me know. :)

Cheers.

Edited by razerfanboi