better cooling for my evga gtx 570 hd

rieds

Maybe my gtx570 doesn't have it but on my gtx 580 there's a metal plate that's glued over top of the chip itself with more thermal paste between the plate and the chip.

Regardless of what else you decide, it's still a good idea to do a thorough dust bunny clean out and also to replace the factory thermal paste.  As you are disassembling the card snap a few photos and share with us and we can make recommendations from there.

omg what a dummy i am. i was just thinking about what delidding your cpu means. de-lid duh. thats what i was talking about removing the metal plate over the chip. when i bought my gtx 580 the original owner threw in the ek waterblock that only covers the gpu  but he put the stock cooler back on. when i went to take it off the lid came off with it. which prolly explains why the risers werent in the waterblock box. cause he prolly delidded it and threw them out and didn't want to put that in his ebay description.   this leads me to believe this might be some of the problem i'm having with the gtx 570. its a refurbished card i bought off a friend. he bought it from microcenter  a few months ago and it came with a one year non transferable warrenty. he decided he wanted to get a gtx 780ti when he graduated and got a lot better paying job. i'm guessing delidding and replacing the tim  is not part of the refurbishing process. maybe they didnt even pull the cooler off and replace the tim between it and the lid. so this means i can go back and take the waterblock and lid off my gtx 580 grind down the memory heatsinks a little more so the tubing and fittings clear with my dremel and it will run even cooler correct? oh yeah. i did pull the cover off the gtx570 and  it was dust free so that isnt an issue. by the way it's an evga gtx570hd with a single fan. the rig is at my girlfriends house which is 45 minutes from me and were going to an all weekend concert this weekend so i won't get a chance to mess with it till the holiday weekend. i'll replace the tim and add some fans and reply back then with the results.

Edited by rieds

been looking around and may have found a cheap liquid cooling solution. i found a used kuhler 620 for $30 and im looking into a Dwood bracket to make it work. if the cost of the bracket with whatever fan i decide to go with is less than the nzxt setup i may go with this if i dont get good results from replacing the tim and adding fans. 

• 2 weeks later...

installed a antec kuhler 620 using nzxt kracken g10 bracket which fit over stock vrm and memory heatsink, replaced tim with prolimatech pk-1, replaced thermal tape on vrm's and memory. it works awesome!!!! idle temp is 30c, temps benchmarking with 3dmark11, and unigene valley on extreme hd is 50c. since the card isnt shutting down from heat issues i was able to increase my overclock from 875 to 925. since temps are only 50c i can prolly go higher if i get the balls to enable higher vcore by flashing bios. i've done some research on this but im stilled kinda scared.

Edited by rieds