Official OCC E3 2012 Awards

All of your opinions are invalid and you should be ashamed of yourselves for thinking that any of you might be correct.

Better :teehee:

lol...um...maybe some happy medium between the two ;)

lol...um...maybe some happy medium between the two ;)

:P I'll hit up your reviews after work.

After a quick skim (work took longer than I thought) I am glad to see that some of the press confrences made it into the most dissappointing. Contrary to what the introduction paragraph claimed, E3 is not a "gamer" time anymore. It's an "investor" time. E3 is basically a massive showing of new techs and gimmicks to impress the investors and stockholders. When Valve had the best E3 confrence by not showing up, you know something is broken.

If you want more opinion, I can read it more in depth today during work. Middle of the week is always slow.

Edited by Silas13013

Very good classification along with rating.

P.S. Does this happen every year?

<Being a member who is here for less than one year, this is completely new to me>

Very good classification along with rating.

P.S. Does this happen every year?

Nope, this was the first time :).

Hopefully it's an annual thing from here on out though...all depends on you guys :P

Full disclosure...this was my idea, but I didn't think of it until after E3 ended, so I kind of sprung it up on the guys with none of us really fully prepared ahead of time (big thank you to Aaron and Troy for doing this). I think next year it'll be a little easier, knowing going into E3 that we will be doing this, and thus allowing us to take notes as E3 occurs. Not to mention the format is now decided along with the layout of the images, so that part won't have to be readdressed.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you guys like it, but come on, don't just stroke our egos :lol: ... you must think we left something off ... argue our picks! Tell us why we're wrong! Or tell us how you initially thought one thing, but our rationale opened your eyes :teehee:

Like the idea and format. Like how the 3 of you had different opinions ...tho in the end, the opinions still rounded out to be the same where each person just put the games in different categories than the other. So in way it didn't make sense because someone would have a game as Game of the Show or to lesser degree Best New IP (or some such) but somehow that game wasn't didn't win Best Action-Adventure or whatever. If I am going to name a game as Game of the Show then it is probably going to win multiple categories.

Also, I fail to see the obession with Watch Dogs. Looks like a title to watch for fer sure, but the graphics seemed inconsistent, the combat looked boring and I want to know how much benefit hacking will do. Is it simply a tool or will it open up opportunities I wouldn't have if I didn't hack something? Will hacking some computer (for example) open up a mission that could change the storyline or further opportunities down the road. Or is it something that is going to become cumbersome like how other games implement a scanning system and the scanning gets boring fairly quick? For example the hacking in Bioshock started out fun than it got boring really quick.

Like the idea and format. Like how the 3 of you had different opinions ...tho in the end, the opinions still rounded out to be the same where each person just put the games in different categories than the other. So in way it didn't make sense because someone would have a game as Game of the Show or to lesser degree Best New IP (or some such) but somehow that game wasn't didn't win Best Action-Adventure or whatever. If I am going to name a game as Game of the Show then it is probably going to win multiple categories.

For me, I purposely didn't have any duplicates (aside from GotS). Like I said in my GotS rationale, I flirted with having Watch Dogs as my Action-Adventure and New IP winners, but I felt it was better if each game could only win one category. I mean, it wouldn't be very exciting if I talked about the same game five times. lol

Also, I fail to see the obession with Watch Dogs. Looks like a title to watch for fer sure, but the graphics seemed inconsistent, the combat looked boring and I want to know how much benefit hacking will do. Is it simply a tool or will it open up opportunities I wouldn't have if I didn't hack something? Will hacking some computer (for example) open up a mission that could change the storyline or further opportunities down the road. Or is it something that is going to become cumbersome like how other games implement a scanning system and the scanning gets boring fairly quick? For example the hacking in Bioshock started out fun than it got boring really quick.

Not sure what graphics seemed inconsistent to you, can you provide an example? What impressed me is not simply that the graphics were of high quality, but that these graphics were in an open-world game, a genre not exactly known for detailed environments.

As for the gameplay, "hacking" will indeed open up new options. In fact, it's how you acquire "side missions". The "hacking" in Watch Dogs is nothing like Bioshock - there's no hacking mini-game that gets old by the twentieth time. It's more, hey, you want to hack that traffic light? Okay, click a button...done. For acquiring side missions, as was shown in the demo, basically you can walk into a room, scan everyone and find out all their dirty secrets - then you can use that information as you please, either to take on side missions, or bribe someone, etc.

I mean, it wouldn't be very exciting if I talked about the same game five times. lol

Not exciting but more realistic. You asked for some criticism and that is mine. :P

Not sure what graphics seemed inconsistent to you, can you provide an example? What impressed me is not simply that the graphics were of high quality, but that these graphics were in an open-world game, a genre not exactly known for detailed environments.

The main characters look awesome, more so the asian guy the actual main character which I thought was kind of funny. All the other people looked like a_s. It's like they blew their budget on the main characters. I found BEYOND: Two Souls to have a more consistent look with their characters. Sure the environment looked great but that stuff is easy, pretty much every game out these days has a fantastic environment. Hell look at Castlevania for the PS3, if you go by environment alone that game can stand up to many games ...even PC games. Even games with low budgets, like Hard Reset can whip out fantastic graphics.

As for the gameplay, "hacking" will indeed open up new options. In fact, it's how you acquire "side missions". The "hacking" in Watch Dogs is nothing like Bioshock - there's no hacking mini-game that gets old by the twentieth time. It's more, hey, you want to hack that traffic light? Okay, click a button...done. For acquiring side missions, as was shown in the demo, basically you can walk into a room, scan everyone and find out all their dirty secrets - then you can use that information as you please, either to take on side missions, or bribe someone, etc.

I didn't mean to compare Bioshock's hacking to WD's hacking. The better example is my first one where I said many games use scanning and in many cases scanning does lead to side missions and such. Though half-way through the game you really hate scanning or feeling the need to scan everything in the damn room to see if you will unlock a secret. When I was 9 and had all the spare time in the world it was cool, but I really don't care to be dedicating that much time on a game ...it would have to be a REALLY awesome game for me to want to do that.

I think the developers for Dishonored did a great job explaining how approaching the game will open up new opportunities. For example you can charge a room and eliminate your target,... or you can sneak up to the door and eavesdrop which will provide new opportunities. That is the kind of stuff I think sounds fun. I would much rather do that than hack everything. That is the kind of stuff that lends itself more to an open world than simply hacking and learning people's secrets, which has already been done though not as the main focus of the game. If it is going to be the main focus of the game than the developers need to do a better job of explaining why someone would want to experiment with hacking everything they see.