Does it really make a difference and how?

rpg

When I used to play CoD 4 there was some graphics settings that was tweak to provide bigger contrast. All the fancy extra details would be turned off (grass and such), I think I turned the AA down a notch, played around a little with gamma and brightness, and a couple of more things. It may not be how the developers intended, but it can help you spot the enemies easier. Many pro CoD 4 players would even play the game on a lower resolution to get a higher FPS rate.

Years ago when I was playing the Delta Force games by Novalogic (and specifically Black Hawk Down), if you got out far enough everyone's head turned into a lovely black dot that you could see quite clearly. So long as you could see the person, their head would be a black dot.

As for your main question, there really isn't anything else you can do hardware-wise to try and get an edge. Aside from turning down some settings in games to see players easier, like Prunes said, there isn't anything more you can do.

In some games its easier to play them with the lowest settings so you can see things better. This removes a lot of pretty cosmetic effects, to make the field of play much more bland. I see people using 120hz monitors for twitch shooters, but BF3 isn't really a twitch shooter.

Having better hardware doesn't increase player skill, it only increases playability. So if you were getting really poor frames per second performance and stuttering, then better hardware would improve playability.

=============

If you really want to improve your player skills, look up some YouTube videos and see how they control recoil and what routes they take to sneak around the map.

Edited by AZNguyen
  • Like 1

^ Aye.

I have to say BF3 is very much a case of the more you play the better you get. I wouldn't describe myself as the best player ever but going from 0.5 K:D to about 1.2 isn't hard just by getting experience in the game.

Thanks all for the terrific feedback.  I'm probably being a little hard on myself.  I'm actually not too bad but guess we all have the desire to improve.  My goal at least right now in game is to unlock all the weapon extras so this alone gets me in trouble and doesn't really lend itself to a great K/D ration. 

Red1776, Thanks for the thought; yes I do wear glasses..actually "HD" glasses or at least that what they tell me.  Pretty much a fact of life after ~40 for most.  :) Even more so after 60..

Amazing how little changes to your system can make a difference...Just last night I was "messing" with the msconfig file and clicked the PCI Lock box and bam  could not boot again due to bootrec failure.  Man, several hours later I fixed but what an inconvenience.  Oh well, guess that's what makes us better...experience right?

Take good care all..

Very nice rig by the way RPG.

Someone above me mentioned that BF3 is one of those games where the more you play the better you will get.  That's the same with about every PC game out there, but there is a lot of truth there.  When I first started playing BF3 I almost quit and threw the whole game away (and I played every Battlefield title before it).  I was just constantly getting my tail kicked (and I'm in the "old" man's club too   :))

I just cobbled up some more patience and kept at it.  Unlocking weapons, learning the maps and the different game modes, understanding pinch points, flanking and team work can go a long way to improving your KD ratio.

Are you using a SSD or traditional drive for the game installation?  While it won't make you a better player, a SSD will improve your load times.

You can check your in-game frame rates by pressing the tilda key "~" while in game.  That will open up the command prompt GUI at the top left.

Type in "render.drawfps 1" without the quotation marks and hit enter.  It will display your FPS  :)