5800K Overclock help

A lil update, I contacted Asus and apparently, the F2A85-V BIOS does not have the option for manual mode for vcore setting, while the F2A85-V Pro does. What a bummer, oh well. I read up on offset overclocking and it does not sound bad. I wonder why they would remove that feature for the non-pro version :(

Also, they recommended me to turn off C6 and PowerNow, which are both power saving features, and CPB is actually the name for Turbo Core in the BIOS. So I turned that off too. I'll give an update on my overclock as soon as my cooler arrives.

ah crud,....sorry bout the bios nick..

WP_000419.jpg

ftr nick, i really do know how to overclock, and pretty good too, but the ai tuner suite is so simple and does such a good job it's not even funny...ive actually had this 5800k up to 5ghz for almost a minute (from the bios),...unstable as hell, but that was good enough for me...so 4.5 in auto tune is meh ok i guess...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NPs man, I'm not doubting the capabilities of your overclocking. I was just extremely frustrated at the stock cooler at the moment of writing this thread haha. I'm curious at what voltage you have it set at? And I am jealous of the manual mode setting :P

NPs man, I'm not doubting the capabilities of your overclocking. I was just extremely frustrated at the stock cooler at the moment of writing this thread haha. I'm curious at what voltage you have it set at? And I am jealous of the manual mode setting :P

if i remember right i started working up from 1.275, tested it,  then bumped up,...for 4.5g it's at about 1.4...to get to 4.7 you'll need approx 1.5 - 1.6v,...as we have all learned each chip is a little different,..i'm sure if you play with it a little you'll find the sweetness !

Hmm. What are your temps like at full load?

And what setting do u have LLC set at?

I dont have an ideal airflow in my case atm cuz I ordered a 3pin y splitter and as soon as that comes ill have another fan to help.

But still, these temps look awfully high for 1.294v @4.0ghz , its load temp is ~76c but it only spikes to

that and usually stays around 70c. Idles at 44c. Weird that it keeps jumping when Prime95ing, like goea from 68c-78c but stays at 78c for only a full second.Could it be due to the new thermal paste that was on the H60?

Beginning to think I just got a really bad chip for ocing.

Edited by nickk47

load line is at extreme, idle temps are low 40's and at 100% in prime in the mid to upper 60's,....I'm guessing the paste is bad (i got rid of the corsair stuff and went with tuniq) or there is a seating problem ,....on another mobo the corsair block was not seating properly due to the closeness of some vrm caps so i had to turn it 90 degrees for proper cooling/seating....maybe there is something in the way ?...

I am pretty sure Corsair's pre-applied paste is Shin Etsu, which is a pretty good brand.

I had my load line at medium, (60%) and prime95 got error at 30 minutes. I set that to High (80%) and now it is completely stable. Also gotta take into account I have my igpu side OC'ed as well, but I still do not like these load temps. When I get home I will check if there is anything out of the ordinary, but I am sure I tightened the screws good enough for a nice firm contact.

My motherboard gets quite hot as well, since the airflow is not ideal at the moment. 44c after +2 hours of Prime95.

Will report back after my second fan arrives, which should reduce my mobo temp for sure, but probably not much cpu temps.

And then I'm asking my bro to send my extra 120mm Antec fan from home, and using that as my push/pull config for my H60, which should shave off 2-3c?

Tightening the screws on the bracket even more allowed for idle temps of 41c! Load temps are is still same. Switched my only front intake fan to top exhaust and reduced mobo temps by 1c. Increased my ssd temp by 4c tho.

Waiting on my 3 extra fans...one for the front intake and one for bottom intake, and last one for push pull on my h60. I am quite satisfied with the performance of it, so i guess ill leave it at 4.0ghz. Saw one review of 5800k doing 4.2ghz on stock cooler and stock voltage. Oh well you win some and lose some.

Edited by nickk47