5800K Overclock help

Well I wanted to start overclocking my 5800k today, but in the Asus bios option, CPU Voltage, the only option for it is "Offset Mode". I didn't know what this was, so I searched it and I don't really wanna overclock my cpu that way. Problem is, there is no "Manual" mode available to me as an option here....What the hell?

What do you think it is?

EDIT: New info

I'll try and sum up what problem I'm having. Here we go.

I initially wanted to overclock it, checked bios setting, there was no option for manual voltage increments but instead an offset mode.

Not knowing exactly what this is, I left alone everything and increased my multiplier so that it is +100MHz from stock.

Booted to windows, checked the temps and WOW too high. I try F5 which is revert to optimized default. Instead, it increases clock to 4.3GHz. I clear CMOS and try again, no go.

Realizing something is wrong, I forefit any kind of hope for overclocking and hope that it has decent temps at STOCK settings. Unfortunately, stock settings temps were way too high at load and idle. (45C idle, 89C load, TJ MAX 74C )

I underclock to 1.25v - 1.35v from whatever the stock was. Temps are better, but still way too dangerous when fully loaded (72-74C)

Even at this voltage, it gives error in Prime95, but at least it does not crash right away or the temps are crazy high.

Bios is updated, chipset is updated, graphics driver is updated, all peripherals are updated, fans are all on, stock heatsink is seated properly with stock thermal paste. I am away from home atm so I cannot put my AC5 on, which is at home.

So I have concluded that either something is broken, or the stock heatsink is no where near as good as it should be to keep this CPU running STABLE at STOCK settings which is SAD. Again, I am not trying to OC anything here, I am just trying to get this thing running stable and cooler than its TJ MAX at load.

Edited by nickk47

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not having this exact motherboard, but a Gigabyte w/ an A8 3850, you might have to look for VID, which is another name for CPU voltage.

Also, the value (unless AMD really differs from a gen to another) is around 1.35 - 1.45V. I suggest starting to increase clocks (you did not tell your experience w/ ocing) until stability becomes an issue, then raise VID. Also, you might want to DISABLE C-States to ensure more stable operation. I had blue screens at the ton with it enabled. Cool & quiet also messes with stability, so while experimenting, turn that to disabled.

Good luck.

I'm a pretty experienced OCer. But this is my first time using an AMD, specially an APU. I dont like this fancy BIOS GUI haha

I serously cannot find anywhere to adjust voltages manually.

I believe you went in advanced mode...  Oh OK... yea offset...

There : the offset is what you add (if the offset sign is on  +  ) to the base voltage (AUTO gives you default voltage)

If you want to reduce voltage, then set the offset sign to " - "

So, Auto gives you the base voltage, put on + (believing you are trying to reach max overclock) and change the auto to what you want. Increase by 0.05 increments to avoid chip frying and look out for temps. I believe you have something beefier than stock cooling, because that aluminum sink is kinda wimpy.

*Edit : Source : PDF manual!

Edited by StefenHeif

Well I wanted to start overclocking my 5800k today, but in the Asus bios option, CPU Voltage, the only option for it is "Offset Mode". I didn't know what this was, so I searched it and I don't really wanna overclock my cpu that way. Problem is, there is no "Manual" mode available to me as an option here....What the hell?

What do you think it is?

The digital power setup is a good bit different if you have not used it before. I kept my A10-+5800K setup after reviewing it and hope it helps.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_f2a85v/4.htm

Well I disabled all energy saving features and finally, voltage offsets actually respond to my adjustments correctly without fluctuation. I still haven't installed Windows as I just got around to building it. I still don't know why there isn't an option to do "manual" overclocking in the dropdown list.

Oh well. My plan tomorrow is to setup Win 8 on the desktop, find highest stable clock on core, and then find highest stable clock on igpu afterwards. Should be fun tinkering with it :D

Okay I am very frustrated as I write this...

There are a few problems that really bothers me with this platform.

When I set the bios to default, (which the exact name is optimized default), the CPU overclocks itself to 4.3GHz, and the voltage is set to auto so it gives crazy voltages and I only have a stock cooler on it at the moment. 

Secondly, when I try to put it at stock settings, ie. 3.8GHz and auto voltage, but PowerNow turned off, the stupid thing still gives it crazy voltage.

I assure you, I have the cooler seated properly. I double checked that.

HWMonitor and Coretemp both reads same temps so I don't think it's the program. When I ran Prime95 for a few seconds, it jumped to 89C and I got scared and turned it off. It idles at 45c. According to HWMonitor, the vcore is fluctuating from 1.387 to 1.487 v. This is on AUTO. Yes, that means this thing is giving at least 1.387v while the chip is doing nothing. No wonder it idles at freakin 45c.

Either the sensor is malfunctioning, the stock cooler is crazy bad, or this chip is just a disappointment.

Anyone with a 5800k, please help me out? In the meantime I will play around with this offset mode thing to try and lower the vcore to acceptable levels...

At this point, id be happy if this chip ran rock solid with acceptable temps at stock settings ffs...

Edited by nickk47

According to HWMonitor, the vcore is fluctuating from 1.387 to 1.487 v. This is on AUTO. Yes, that means this thing is giving at least 1.387v while the chip is doing nothing. No wonder it idles at freakin 45c.

Have you tried after setting the vcore manually?

the 5800k on the asus f2A85-v pro will EASILY hit 4.5 using auto tune, from the desktop,... but if you want to go higher still,  it will do that too but you'll need to go into bios for that....and the uefi bios is awesome...

What do you think it is?

The digital power setup is a good bit different if you have not used it before. I kept my A10-+5800K setup after reviewing it and hope it helps.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_f2a85v/4.htm

i remember this red,....you taught me how to do it !,....good one !!

the 5800k on the asus f2A85-v pro will EASILY hit 4.5 using auto tune, from the desktop,... but if you want to go higher still,  it will do that too but you'll need to go into bios for that....and the uefi bios is awesome...

Lol...having a h100 of course it is easy. Put back your stock cooler and try "auto tune". The stupid thing won't know what temperature the core is at, and melt down. I told you already, I tried basically everything. I have all the latest bios, updates, etc.

And who uses auto tune anyways?

If I just blow another 70 bucks to get like a H60, I'm sure my temp problem would be solved, but I am FURIOUS that AMD decided to include a stock cooler that cannot keep the CPU at below 74c at load. That is just...omg I shoulda stayed Intel.

@d6bmg Apparently, there is suppose to be two ways to adjust voltage: manual and offset mode. This bios only gives me the option of offset mode. I have undervolted it to 1.25v - 1.35v and it's still above 72c and Prime95 has calculation error, usually on 2 cores out of 4. Then when the core 0 and 1 worker stops, the temps start going down to ~60c when only 2 of the cores are working.

Edited by nickk47