HELP!

Err hundreds of thousands of times(exaggeration of course)....

So have you been able to get em to see if other PC's could connect to the router? You should also try one of the simplest tricks in the book if its not the routers fault.

Go to command prompt(run as admin), then type in Ipconfig/flushdns then type in Ipconfig/registerdns.

You could also try the Ipconfig/release and Ipconfig/renew

Already tried that.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already tried that.

ping is also your friend...

can you ping 8.8.8.8 while wired? while wireless?

Also try pinging the hostnames (domain).

If you get a response from 8.8.8.8 but not from google.com, it is likely a DNS issue.

Is there another device in between the wireless router? Such as another router? If that is the case your going to have to set the wireless router to bridge mode (Disable DHCP).

Also I would walk your friend through enabling remote management either by using RDP or something more secure, so that you can troubleshoot this remotely for him.

Networking can be weird sometimes, the best thing to do is just keep testing... Eventually the problem tends to find or even fix itself haha...

Can you post your configuration? Either a text output if your router supports it or screenshots would be fine.

Edited by greengiant912

ping is also your friend...

can you ping 8.8.8.8 while wired? while wireless?

Also try pinging the hostnames (domain).

If you get a response from 8.8.8.8 but not from google.com, it is likely a DNS issue.

Is there another device in between the wireless router? Such as another router? If that is the case your going to have to set the wireless router to bridge mode (Disable DHCP).

Also I would walk your friend through enabling remote management either by using RDP or something more secure, so that you can troubleshoot this remotely for him.

Networking can be weird sometimes, the best thing to do is just keep testing... Eventually the problem tends to find or even fix itself haha...

Can you post your configuration? Either a text output if your router supports it or screenshots would be fine.

Can ping while wired, can't ping while wireless.

And there is no other device. It is a router/modem combo. The way we have it setup is wall, router/modem, laptop.

Like I said, I know it is a DNS issue, it is just that everything I have done that would fix a DNS issue hasn't worked.

Can ping while wired, can't ping while wireless.

And there is no other device. It is a router/modem combo. The way we have it setup is wall, router/modem, laptop.

Like I said, I know it is a DNS issue, it is just that everything I have done that would fix a DNS issue hasn't worked.

did you change the dns server on the router? Change it to googles (8.8.8.8) see what happens...

I don't think it is a dns issue as much, it seems like you are getting resolutions when wired. I can almost certainly say that it might be something configured wrong with the wireless, and or possibly a bad antenna.

You could take some packet captures and go through them to see if your even getting traffic to pass across the wireless. wireshark is your friend when troubleshooting weird things like these. http://www.wireshark.org/

Double check the wireless settings too, make sure the antenna is enabled for B/G/N.

Have you tried connecting to the wireless with another device? Smartphone, iPod, etc... It could be something wrong with the laptop too...

Also I know this sounds soo stupid, but I know soooo many people who do this. Dose the laptop have a physical switch to enable / disable the wireless? So many people I know just bump these switches and don't even know that their wireless cards are disabled. Just the other night I had to help my mother with this...

If you need help I can walk ya through a bit how to use it. I am no wireshark pro by any means, but I know how to use it a bit...

ok...I've just had news from my friend and she said that one of her clients is a network engineer and she asked him to take a look at her laptop...and he said something about the computer not receiving an IP address properly...so he sorted it out and now it works fine... but havent got detailed info as I didnt speak with the Tech :(

as I checked before in command prompt(IPCONFIG) and no 192.168.* was showing up only a 192.254.etc, but not being a network eng..(and not having Google at hand) I couldn't fix it...

did you change the dns server on the router? Change it to googles (8.8.8.8) see what happens...

I don't think it is a dns issue as much, it seems like you are getting resolutions when wired. I can almost certainly say that it might be something configured wrong with the wireless, and or possibly a bad antenna.

You could take some packet captures and go through them to see if your even getting traffic to pass across the wireless. wireshark is your friend when troubleshooting weird things like these. http://www.wireshark.org/

Double check the wireless settings too, make sure the antenna is enabled for B/G/N.

Have you tried connecting to the wireless with another device? Smartphone, iPod, etc... It could be something wrong with the laptop too...

Also I know this sounds soo stupid, but I know soooo many people who do this. Dose the laptop have a physical switch to enable / disable the wireless? So many people I know just bump these switches and don't even know that their wireless cards are disabled. Just the other night I had to help my mother with this...

If you need help I can walk ya through a bit how to use it. I am no wireshark pro by any means, but I know how to use it a bit...

I can't imagine how it would be a bad antena. If it were, then I would see no connectivity. The laptop is connecting, but gives no internet access.

I did make sure the router was B/G/N compatible.

I did try connecting with my laptop, but it kept coming back with a message saying that the connection timed out.

The laptop does not have the switch, but the router itself does, and I already played with that.

Thank you for your support, and thank you to everyone who has helped so far. I just seriously don't understand what could be doing this. Every possible thing that I could think of hasn't worked not to mentioned what google has told me to try along with you guys. How many problems can there be to select from regarding a wireless issue ????? :lol:

I have an idea I want to bounce off you guys.

If my laptop has the same issue connecting to the router that his laptop does, then is it possible I could bring the router/modem to my house to fix it here? We both have verizon as the ISP so could it work, or do I have to drive another hundred miles to go help him.........again.

• 2 weeks later...

We returned the asus router and got a lynksis router. We set it up in the same exact fashion as the asus ono, but it works this time.

You know, I would love it if for one day I would stop having the strangest of issues and fix something easy like a virus. :lol:

TJ,

Reset the router back to factory defaults. Enable the wireless radio, but do not set any wireless security protocols... YET.

Start the laptop and reset the IP configuration.

Elevated command prompt > ipconfig /release > ipconfig /renew > and then reboot. If that doesn't work use the windows device manager to uninstall the wireless card. Reboot the computer and Windows will detect new hardware and reinstall the wireless card drivers. Reboot again and see if you can access the internet.

If that doesn't work, open an elevated command prompt again and type in ipconfig /all and post up a screen shot of the results.

TJ,

Reset the router back to factory defaults. Enable the wireless radio, but do not set any wireless security protocols... YET.

Start the laptop and reset the IP configuration.

Elevated command prompt > ipconfig /release > ipconfig /renew > and then reboot. If that doesn't work use the windows device manager to uninstall the wireless card. Reboot the computer and Windows will detect new hardware and reinstall the wireless card drivers. Reboot again and see if you can access the internet.

If that doesn't work, open an elevated command prompt again and type in ipconfig /all and post up a screen shot of the results.

I think you're a tad to late there ;)

We returned the asus router and got a lynksis router. We set it up in the same exact fashion as the asus ono, but it works this time.