Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Release Date: Oct 14, 2014)

ClayMeow

UPDATE 2014-06-05: Release Date is October 14 in NA, October 17 worldwide

UPDATE 2014-04-09: Official Announcement and OCC post

Please be true!

Details:

• PC, PS3, and 360 only
  • Developed by 2K Australia, not Gearbox
  • Takes place during the five-year gap between BL 1 and 2
  • Set on the moon of Elpis where Hyperio has a large H-shaped moon base (could be seen in BL2)
  • Follows Handsome Jack's rise to power before he became known as Handsome Jack
  • Four new playable characters (Jack's lieutenants):
    • Athena The Gladiator (from BL1 General Knoxx DLC)
    • Wilhelm The Enforcer (BL2 Loader boss, but prior to him becoming a loader)
    • Nisha The Lawbringer (possibly BL2's Sheriff of Lynchwood, Jack's girlfriend)
    • Fragtrap (a militarized Claptrap)
  • Two new weapon types: Laser and Cryo (cold/freeze)
  • Low-gravity environments (can send enemies into orbit)
  • Jetpacks (for traversal)
  • New resource: Oxygen (acquired by OX-Kits)

I'd be perfectly alright with a heavily armed Claptrap. I wonder how oxygen would play with him being a robot and all.

Claptrap is as human as anyone!!!! :vmad:

I'm hoping that, because it's clearly a stopgap before BL3 and will likely be a shorter campaign, it's priced at $30-40.

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Having said that...

This feels like another cash-in the way Arkham Origins was to Batman. I really don't understand why since they're spending the money anyways, they can't make an actual sequel to BL2. *Sigh*

Yeah, of course I'm going to buy this, but I really hope they price this more reasonably around $40 or something. We'll see.

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Having said that...

This feels like another cash-in the way Arkham Origins was to Batman. I really don't understand why since they're spending the money anyways, they can't make an actual sequel to BL2. *Sigh*

Yeah, of course I'm going to buy this, but I really hope they price this more reasonably around $40 or something. We'll see.

They've never made a new-gen game, so it would indeed cost a lot more money just to learn the systems (remember, time = money). It's definitely a stopgap until BL3 comes out, just like BAO was a stopgap until BAK, but I take no issue with that. It sounds like they're adding enough new aspects to warrant a purchase, but like I said before, I too am hoping for a $30-40 price tag - not because I wouldn't pay more for a BL game, but rather because I'm getting a sense that a single playthrough will be shorter than BL2.

EDIT: One thing I will say is that it sounds like playing as each character will actually provide very different stories (at least as far as the characters are concerned), making it much more akin to Dragon Age than the previous Borderlands games. In the previous two games I only ever really played two different characters because the only thing that ever changed were the abilities. For this reason, BL:TPS may actually have a bit more replayability from a story standpoint, whereas the others relied on loot to entice players back.