NVIDIA GTX 275 Reviewed

Bosco

good review ccokeman :)

what's really interesting are the Fallout 3 results - what do you think is the cause of the strangely equal performance across all cards in the first three resolutions tested? is the game that optimized?

seems like the GTX 275 may be the GT200's equivalent to the older G92 core 8800 GTS 512: incredible performance (2nd most powerful single GPU solution) at a price that's significantly reduced from the current flagship model, the GTX 285. again, only talking about single GPU cards here.

what's really interesting are the Fallout 3 results - what do you think is the cause of the strangely equal performance across all cards in the first three resolutions tested? is the game that optimized?

My guess would actually be the opposite.

It's an updated version of the Oblivion engine, which might explain it a bit.

I've heard that it forces v-sync even if you un-check it in the settings as well, so that could be it?

Edited by jammin

Probably CPU limited

It uses a dynamic level of detail to maintain a constant FPS as long as the CPU can feed it and the GPU can mostly keep up.

I thought i read around 250

that's starting though right? hopefully competition brings that down some ;). This card finally makes the 280/285's absolutely worthless lol, as if a decently overclock 260 didn't already. They need to bring down the prices on the 28X's they just are too expensive for what they offer.

that's starting though right? hopefully competition brings that down some ;). This card finally makes the 280/285's absolutely worthless lol, as if a decently overclock 260 didn't already. They need to bring down the prices on the 28X's they just are too expensive for what they offer.

But the 285 is 25 more than the 260! Who wouldn't pay the premium for 25 more... um... "nvidia units"?! :P

/sarcasm

Seriously though, that's just the way things go. Think of all the kids that show up here on post #1 with a Skulltrail board and 32GB of ram, tri-SLI 295s and 4 Raptor 300's in raid. There's too many people that just shop by highest price. They're the same people that never read any reviews and have no clue how silly the stuff they buy is. But they're the reason that Extreme Edition Intel chips exist and they're also why cards like the 28X can offer such little performance gain for so much money.