Best SSD for the money.

vyroburn

Hey guys, 

I am looking at getting an SSD, One of my Drives in my raid array is finally going out and I can justify spending the money. I want to stick with a smaller drive like 128 because I have a freenas box hosting all storage, Here are my specs:

Intel Core i5 3570k (ivy bridge)
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
G.Skill RipJaw Z Series 8GB DDR3-2800
Thermaltake Black Widow 850w
GPU: Saphire HD 5750 (SOON TO BE REPLACED)(TEMP CARD TILL PAYDAY)
Dual Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM  RAID-0
Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Thanks for the suggestions,

Vyro!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samsung 840 uses TLC NAND, smaller drive is slower with  less endurance, would not recomment the 120 GB drive,

840 Pro (MLC NAND) is a very good 128 gb

sale (840 250 gb $150)

http://slickdeals.net/f/5873126-Samsung-250GB-2-5-inch-SSD-840-Series-MZ-7TD250BW-150-Macmall?p=57790502&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-d&utm_term=1&utm_content=u2183146&utm_campaign=tu14

lately the Sandisk Ultra Plus has been turning up on sale around $90

Edited by ohldboy

Stick with higher quality brands and then get the best price. Right now I would buy Samsung, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ and Intel. These are the ones I have had the most experience with and none of them have ever given me an issue.

Stick with higher quality brands and then get the best price. Right now I would buy Samsung, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ and Intel. These are the ones I have had the most experience with and none of them have ever given me an issue.

I agree except I would remove kingston and OCZ (unless you are referring to the vector?) from that list. Samsung, plextor, intel, and crucial are the better stability brands. It isn't even that kingston or OCZ are bad (they are actually very good) but to me they aren't reliable enough to stack up to the 4 I mentioned.  

Gonna have to disagree, I think the reason you hear of failures with OCZ is because they are priced so aggressively there are a ton of them out there. The actually failure to sale percentage is likely no worse than any other drive maker. In fact I will go a step further, I have installed, after a quick check of my records, 37 OCZ and 61 Kingston SSDs over the last 2 years and zero failures.

Gonna have to disagree, I think the reason you hear of failures with OCZ is because they are priced so aggressively there are a ton of them out there. The actually failure to sale percentage is likely no worse than any other drive maker. In fact I will go a step further, I have installed, after a quick check of my records, 37 OCZ and 61 Kingston SSDs over the last 2 years and zero failures.

Well the reason I say otherwise is because I have had one DOA with OCZ and my laptop drive is starting to die as well. Sooooo  :dunno:

Kingston I have just had terrible luck with on all sort of things. I know that is NOT normal, but still I just don't feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I recommend them if you catch my drift. I think you sucked all of my luck away and that is why YOU have not seen a drive failure (lol)

Samsung on the other hand is rock steady. I have absolutely 0 issues with them. That is also why I have been slowly converting all my memory based parts over to samsung. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Crucial M4 seems to be a very popular recommendation.  And there is the newer updated version:  (for reference, not the best price) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148525&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I personally have had an OCZ Agility 2 40gb for about 2 years, and an OCZ Vertex 3 120gb for a year.  No problems with either one, just super fast.  40gb was too small for the OS after a year of use/clutter so I got the 120gb, no more worries of filling it up.  I re-purposed the 40gb for my XP netbook and it's perfect for that.

Edited by RedFury77