Antec P183 Chassis Evaluation

Nemo

it has a power adapter that you plug into the wall, I have never had a problem with the iPod not being charged through it. I love the little device, there are so many uses for it, its like a KVM switch for just USB devices. I used to use it for doing reviews with only one keyboard and mouse and having both of my computers at the same desk, now I have my review setup in a different room since I bought my own house.

it has a power adapter that you plug into the wall, I have never had a problem with the iPod not being charged through it. I love the little device, there are so many uses for it, its like a KVM switch for just USB devices. I used to use it for doing reviews with only one keyboard and mouse and having both of my computers at the same desk, now I have my review setup in a different room since I bought my own house.

That's cool. I think for most people, front-USB is still easier and more accessible than having a hub.

I just use the Ultra 7-Port USB Buddy Hub instead of the front panel, my case sits a little ways away from the desk plus the G15 keyboard has two usb ports on the back, one is used for my mouse and the other is where I plug my flash drive in if I need quick access to it

Same situation... my PC has always been a distance away from where I sit. A USB hub under the monitor stand has always been more practical/convenient for me. Everyone I know is basically the same way which is why I never understood why manufacturers continue putting them on the cases... the replies to this thread are the first time I've actually seen/heard people say that they use 'em. Guess this would be a good topic for next weeks poll. ;)

Additionally, from an aesthetic standpoint, it's ugly. Wires everywhere. :P

I have a powered USB hub, and have no problem charging USB devices.

I totally agree, my personal choice is to take the front IO panel out of the picture, adds extra cables I have to hide out of the way, keeps the inside cleaner to look at

from where I sit, the front IO panel on my Sniper case is exactly 50 inches away from me, how many devices have over a 4 foot cable on it that isnt going to give you problems (turning your head with a headset or getting into a game with a mouse)?

Edited by gotdamojo06

Same situation... my PC has always been a distance away from where I sit. A USB hub under the monitor stand has always been more practical/convenient for me. Everyone I know is basically the same way which is why I never understood why manufacturers continue putting them on the cases... the replies to this thread are the first time I've actually seen/heard people say that they use 'em. Guess this would be a good topic for next weeks poll. ;)

Additionally, from an aesthetic standpoint, it's ugly. Wires everywhere. :P

I have a powered USB hub, and have no problem charging USB devices.

First, what does it matter whether the wire comes out of the front of your case or a hub? :P

Secondly, you're ADDING an additional power adaptor, so :P

I've been using the original P180 for over three years now. I use the front USB port for a memory stick all the time. My computer only has four USB ports on the back and I've never gotten around to geting a hub.

I have the P180-Mini...and it looks just like this case but smaller....

This has been the BEST case I have ever had as far as cooling and being totally Silent...

Very solid cases...Antec makes some of the best cases I know of...very good review

From the article:

"The only problem that I had with the wire management was when I was trying to hide the 8 pin CPU power cable, as this cable was just simply not long enough to run along the back of the case due to how tall it is and the placement of the PSU itself."

The 183 has slots through the motherboard area for this very purpose.

It would be nice to know if the author was aware of that and yet the 8 pin cable was still too short, or if that feature was missed.

Trust me, I tried every single slot that I could run the cable through, the only way that I could actually get the cable plugged in was going over the board. If I tried to put it though the holes in the MB tray, it would only reach the top of the tray and I still had a good 4-5 inches to go before I could get it to plug in. Thank you for noticing that Antec did design that for the cable :)

Trust me, I tried every single slot that I could run the cable through, the only way that I could actually get the cable plugged in was going over the board. If I tried to put it though the holes in the MB tray, it would only reach the top of the tray and I still had a good 4-5 inches to go before I could get it to plug in. Thank you for noticing that Antec did design that for the cable :)

That stinks, but I put part of the blame on the PSU makers.

I have the original P180, which didn't come with slots.

I have to run the same cable from my ES-800 over the top of the graphics cards and it is also tight.

On the other hand, my Corsair HX620 has enough slack, so there was no problem routing it around the back.

I would like to see more case makers follow Corsair's lead with lots of grommet-filled holes.