"Desktops will be irrelevant in 3 years."

I could see desktops disappearing but not in 3 years maybe 10-15 years.

I think you're in for a surprise! 10 years? No way!

If I wasn't into computers and overclocking, I wouldn't even own a desktop now! Actually, that's not entirely true, I'd keep that neat HTPC until I can stream 1080p (scratch that -- 2160p) wirelessly from a NAS, to a laptop and display it on a TV :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead meaning that about 65% of the population will need nothing more than a tiny nettop box to connect to "The Cloud" to do everything they currently do on their desktops?

YES I agree.

However there will be many uses for powerful desktops be it computer gaming or workstation uses for years to come.

If I could replace my mother's, mother-in-law's, and grandfather's PCs with a nettop that just connected to "the cloud" then hellz yeah I would do that.

I'm sure people that do Auto Cad work, graphic design, and databases wouldn't exactly wanna do their work in the cloud.

I do a lot of DB work remotely. Doing it in "the cloud" wouldn't really be that different. Though, you won't see many company databases in the cloud... workstations, yes. databases and servers, no. To many issues and privacy concerns.

Agreed. 80% of the time my netbook is all I need.

While I don't have a netbook, at least 80% of the time all I need is my phone.

I especially liked the part where the guy who wrote the article said that mice will disappear.

Over my dead body, i would rather take a rusty hatchet to my left eye ball then use a touchpad or touch screen for all my computing needs.

Infact, if i am forced to use a laptop for one reason or another, i take my mouse with me.

If they really are going then id better start stockpiling straight away.

Edited by Whatislove