Corsair Vangeance XMP profile

Hi,

I just bought my self triple channel Corsair Vangeance 12gb 2000mhz with XMP. In the BIOS, there is 2 option for XMP profile. Either 1 I choose, the max speed I can get is 1800+mhz. I have try 1900mhz, crash after a few second on inteltestburn. I have tried increasing QPI volt & CPU volt but no luck.

Before this, I run ci7 920 4.0gb(211x19) with memory speed of 1680mhz only (SPD:8.0). I have reach the limit on bclock (211). I have try with different SPD, the highest I can get is 1800mhz stabil.

Can anyone guide me how to properly use this XMP profile. Isn't it suppose to get to 2000mhz easily since it is 2000mhz memory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Check the motherboard's compatibility list of XMP profile & find out whether that particular RAM model is there or not.

Generally this scenario happens when the kit is not directly supported by the motherboard.

Check the motherboard's compatibility list of XMP profile & find out whether that particular RAM model is there or not.

Generally this scenario happens when the kit is not directly supported by the motherboard.

Checked, its not in the list.. this motherboard is old, the ram in new.. does it mean it wont reach it's rated speed 2000mhz?

Also, check the timings the memory was tested at 2000MHz at. My Vengeance XMP has the incorrect settings for the timings, but you can custom configure them (for mine, I set to 9, 9, 9, 24) which got me to the rated speed (for me 1600MHz)

There's no way you're going to get 2000 MHz on an X58 platform through XMP profiles without being extremely lucky. IIRC the maximum rated speed for any of the X58 boards/chips is 1600 MHz and the standard "non-OC" clocks are 1066 and 1333.

You will need to massage the voltages and TRFC most likely to get it there.  XMP is not going to happen out of the box unless you have a stellar memory controller. I have to run 1.38 to 1.40 on the memory controller to keep mine stable at 2000Mhz on my X58 system.

Also, check the timings the memory was tested at 2000MHz at. My Vengeance XMP has the incorrect settings for the timings, but you can custom configure them (for mine, I set to 9, 9, 9, 24) which got me to the rated speed (for me 1600MHz)

I manage to get 1688mhz on 9-9-9-24, with XMP profile disable, 1800mhz on 10-11-11-28 with XMP profile enable.. wont pass inteltestburn at 1900mhz..

You will need to massage the voltages and TRFC most likely to get it there.  XMP is not going to happen out of the box unless you have a stellar memory controller. I have to run 1.38 to 1.40 on the memory controller to keep mine stable at 2000Mhz on my X58 system.

I have tried 1.40 on QPI/VTT voltage.. no luck..

As cokeman pointed out, you may need to tweak tRFC.  Another tertiary timing you may need to adjust is tRD.

From my experience on X58 I'd say shoot for the best memory frequency you can get with the tightest timings without exceeding 1.35v on QPI.  If you can get your frequency and timings optimized you'll find that your bandwidth performance is similar between DDR3 1750Mhz with tight timings and DDR3 2000Mhz with loose timings.  Plus latency will be greatly improved with the tighter timings.

I am running 1.425 QPI and 2000Mhz and have been for the past 6 months but the added heat in the chip is not offset with the performance. Some chips just do not have a memory controller capable of 2000Mhz with that much memory installed.  

I am running 1.425 QPI and 2000Mhz and have been for the past 6 months but the added heat in the chip is not offset with the performance. Some chips just do not have a memory controller capable of 2000Mhz with that much memory installed.  

with the same memory voltage as 1600+mhz?

with the same memory voltage as 1600+mhz?

Yep, the kit is rated at 2000Mhz 1.65v, I can run 1600 at 9-9-9-24 using 1.5v. Just because you have a kit rated to run at a certain speed it does not mean the chip can handle it. I have 3 3770K's and all three have different speed limitations on the memory controller.  I forgot I ended up having to move to 1.425v. Just checked the BIOS.