Vetting my new 1155 build ($1000 budget)

Traft00

Hey Gents,

I just got a year end bonus and would like to build a new 1155 rig with some of the money. I have 2 goals: 1 it must play star wars old republic and 2: be under $1000.00. I already have a corsair 850 watt power supply so that will help. Here are the parts I'm considering. The biggest unknown to me here is the mobo and RAM. Any input is appreciated.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III

Cooler Master HAF 922

*I am at $984.94 as it is.

Edited by Traft00

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=64181&vpn=R6950%20Twin%20Frozr%20II%20OC&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1301

Get rid of the ram you have and go for this . You do NOT need the ram you are looking at currently. It would be a massive waste. Just overclock this to 1866mhz with 8-9-8-24 1t and you should be all set. Plus it would look really sweet with the mobo.

YES! Go with the Asrock mobo. The nice black PCB with the black ram modules and you have a sweet color scheme there.

For the SSD, go with Mushkin. I have had a hit or miss experience with OCZ. I have bought 6 vertex 3s from them, and only 2 worked (when I say I bought six I mean I bought 2...DOA. I exchanged both of the them and got two new drives. One worked, one DOA....and so forth and so on.) I have three mushkin drives and they all worked perfectly fine. Plus it saves you some extra money. http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62873&vpn=MKNSSDCR120GB&manufacture=Mushkin%20Enhanced&promoid=1368

Take the money you saved, and get the corsair 650D http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58078&vpn=CC650DW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1301

You would have a BAD A$$ looking system!!!!!

So I bought a few of the parts today. Here is what I ordered so far:

Intel i5 2500k - found it for $179.00

corsair 650D - from newegg $179.00 after $10 mail in rebate (great suggestion Tjj226_Angel)

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP

Windows 7 pro 64 bit

I think I will order the motherboard, ram and SSD after the 1st. I'm still not sure on which motherboard to get though, the asrock seems good but now I'm thinking I should break the budget a bit and go for something a little nicer.

If there is a preffered mobo that anyone can suggest for pairing up with an i5 I'd love to hear about it.

So I bought a few of the parts today. Here is what I ordered so far:

Intel i5 2500k - found it for $179.00

corsair 650D - from newegg $179.00 after $10 mail in rebate (great suggestion Tjj226_Angel)

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP

Windows 7 pro 64 bit

I think I will order the motherboard, ram and SSD after the 1st. I'm still not sure on which motherboard to get though, the asrock seems good but now I'm thinking I should break the budget a bit and go for something a little nicer.

If there is a preffered mobo that anyone can suggest for pairing up with an i5 I'd love to hear about it.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

RETURN IT!!!!!!!!!!!

The link I gave you had the 650D on sale for 130 after rebate!!!!!!! Why would you shop newegg when you have the sale available to you????????

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

RETURN IT!!!!!!!!!!!

The link I gave you had the 650D on sale for 130 after rebate!!!!!!! Why would you shop newegg when you have the sale available to you????????

Take it easy, he can do whatever he wants.

I am using the Gigabyte UD3H and it is a great board, Gigabyte makes a solid product, as does Asus.

As for the RAM personally I always stick Kingston or Corsair, the key though is I would not worry about timings or buying anything faster than 1600. The reason is simple, RAM overclocking is a waste of time. While it might look nice in benchmarks, in real world performance the gains are so small you never notice them. Further with an Intel system you get the bonus of XMP so just buy a good RAM and let the XMP do the rest.