Thermaltake VR Fan Controller

Hi, I am new to the forum and I have what I hope is a simple question.  I have acquired a couple of simple Thermaltake VR Fan Speed Controllers, which just seem to be variable resistors that fit in a card slot opening on the back of the case. 

What is weird is that the cable coming off of the controller ends in a 2pin connector that looks like it would fit onto a fan plug on the motherboard.  It would seem that to work, that they somehow need to be in-line with the fan, which ends in a standard 3-pin motherboard connector.  I dont see how this is going to be able to control a fan.  I can plug this into the motherboard, but that would do no good, because then it wouldnt be connected to the fan in any way.

I seem to be missing how this is to be used with a standard fan.  I have attached 2 pictures of the controller.  I suppose that I could splice this into the hot wire of the fan lead, but it seems like there should be a simpler solution.  Any help would be appreciated.

post-94815-0-36028400-1357244371_thumb.jpg

post-94815-0-32555900-1357244372_thumb.jpg

That appears to be the control for a Thermaltake Smart Case Fan. those fans have multi connection pigtails.

Bump for this suggestion, especially considering it is a Thermaltake fan controller  :thumbsup: