Steam is coming to a new operating system

kyfire

Select game developers used the Steam Controller. Here's what they said........

Dan Tabar is an indie game developer at Planetoid Pioneers Studio Data Realms, and he was one of several indie developers who had hands-on demos with the controller at Valve's Bellevue, WA headquarters on Labor Day this year.

What he described was an extremely flexible, mappable controller -- perhaps the most flexible control option this side of a keyboard and mouse setup -- that offers generous tactile feedback.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/201195/Select_game_developers_used_the_Steam_Controller_Heres_what_they_said.php

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason Steam and Valve are focusing on making a more console friendly setup boils down to simple statistics. If you sit down at your PC and play a game the most you'll play it for is about an hour (on average.) If you sit down on your couch and play a console game, it's been shown that you will invest at least 2 hours into your game, if not more.

The longer you have a gamer's attention, the more likely you are to make money off of them.

I'd like to see more of those statistics, to see if there is any unintentional/intentional bias due to PCs being more than a gaming device. Consoles, after all, have almost no use except games, so if you sit down at one, that is what you are going to do with them, and that is the condition when you sit down. The same or similar conditions will exist with a dedicated Steam Machine.

Not trying to start an argument with you, in the least. When I first saw those same statistics a few days ago, I thought the same thing I just said above.

Edit: By the way, I noticed this interesting wording:

Can I use a controller if I don

I'd like to see more of those statistics, to see if there is any unintentional/intentional bias due to PCs being more than a gaming device. Consoles, after all, have almost no use except games, so if you sit down at one, that is what you are going to do with them, and that is the condition when you sit down. The same or similar conditions will exist with a dedicated Steam Machine.

The reason Steam and Valve are focusing on making a more console friendly setup boils down to simple statistics. If you sit down at your PC and play a game the most you'll play it for is about an hour (on average.) If you sit down on your couch and play a console game, it's been shown that you will invest at least 2 hours into your game, if not more.

The longer you have a gamer's attention, the more likely you are to make money off of them.

Not trying to start an argument with you, in the least. When I first saw those same statistics a few days ago, I thought the same thing I just said above.

^Agreed.

I'm sorry, Locutus, but I find your reasoning completely BS.

Visit any college campus and see how many students are gaming on their PCs into the wee hours of the night morning.

Have you ever played an MMO? Some end-game raids can take several hours to complete. (Good) Dota 2 matches last about an hour (don't know about LoL).

And Jim is right - if I'm at my computer already, it's very easy to just hop in a game for 15 mins when I have/need a break from something else, whereas very few people are even going to bother turning on their TV and console just to game for 15 minutes.

For the controller, I see no reason why it'd be limited to just SteamOS and Steam Machines, or even just Big Picture mode. Valve even says it'll work "with any version of Steam," so if you like gaming on your PC and prefer a controller, you can use that. Some people like playing Skyrim with a controller, so they can use the Steam one for that or any other game available on Steam. It's designed to register like a keyboard and mouse for games that don't natively support a controller.

Specifications revealed for Valve's prototype Steam Machine. This is the one the 300 beta testers get to try out.

GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660 
CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3 
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU) 
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD 
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold 
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

No idea of what the actual Steam Machine looks like, as Valve won't be revealing that until later. There will be the source CAD files provided so people can build their own, if they wish. And of course, all the components in the Steam Machines can be upgraded.

Steam Controller Demonstration 001:

Games shown:

Portal 2

Civilization V

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Papers, Please

Looks pretty sweet, but it's obviously being used by someone with vast experience with it. I'd love to see them actually show an online CS:GO match instead of just the training course to see how it really stacks up against KB&M.

• 4 months later...