How do you find an IP Address on a forum?

Assassin X

I looked at there forum registration process and it seems like you don't have to give out any personal information besides your email address.

So its likely that eather hes a lier and says he has your personal information when he really doesn't.

Or

During your time as a member at that website you posted some personal information about yourself in your personal profile or on the forums and he just looked it up and thats how he found out.

• 2 years later...

I'm interested in what info he is posting about you.

It is highly unlikely he has your IP address unless he asked a mod or admin to provide it, hacked the forums, or was chatting with you via IM or connected up to a game server with you. - Some forums provide the first two or three octets as a scare tactic. Regardless, the IP address only provides the user with the ISP and a general location. Even an ISP isn't going to provide name, address, or phone information without a warrant. So unless he used the IP address, compromised your computer (either hacking or getting you to click a link), and found information on your system, he's most likely got nothing.

You can use ARIN to find out who "owns" the IP. Use a lookup to find the hostname, and even trace to get a general location.

Take my IP: 76.114.74.255

Using ARIN, you can see it belongs to Comcast. And even says Knoxville.

Do a nslookup, and all you get is c-76-114-74-255.hsd1.tn.comcast.net

Do a trace route, and all you'll see is the IP is somewhere in Knoxville, TN.

You still have nothing. However, if you Google "d3bruts1d" you can find out far more information. ;) Granted, your username is a bit more complicated because of things like Assassin's Creed, clothing lines, movies, and more. However you can add stuff to the search such as "forum", "member", or "profile". All he needs is a public profile where you provide an IM name, social network link, or email address and finding more about you becomes a lot easier.

• 6 months later...