XFX HD 7870 and 7850 Double Dissipation Review

This is the card I plan to purchase but I have been waiting for the price to drop some

in regards to overclocking, although most cards have a similar range - perhaps this 7850 is not actually the production model?

or have you heard of similar gains with other brand 7850s?

in regards to overclocking, although most cards have a similar range - perhaps this 7850 is not actually the production model?

or have you heard of similar gains with other brand 7850s?

It's actually really common for the 7850's to max out the CCC/Afterburner.

There are supposedly a few ways to overclock the cards past 1050MHz, like ASUS GPU Tool, but I haven't tried. If I have time I'll through the card back in the test rig sometime this week and see how that works out.

There are supposedly a few ways to overclock the cards past 1050MHz, like ASUS GPU Tool, but I haven't tried. If I have time I'll through the card back in the test rig sometime this week and see how that works out.

Afterburner Unofficial overclocking works to expand the overclocking limits. Its worked on every card I have maxed out the CCC limits.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running an Asus Direct CUII 7850 driving 3 monitors at 5292x1050, and Diablo III looks pretty damned amazing!

The Asus GPU tool does indeed unlock the core overclocking beyond 1050MHz. I'm currently running at 1.2GHz on the core, and 1.45GHz (quad-pumped 5800MHz) on the memory. The Asus Direct CUII version is particularly awesome because the cooler was designed for the 7870 and is therefore oversized for the 7850, and the dual fans are close to completely silent, even under load.

I had originally thought to buy a GTX670, but they're all out of stock and actually selling for more than $400 Canadian, and I was reluctant to fork out that kind of money anyhow. WIth the 7850s consistently overclocking to 1150MHz+, most people will be happy with the performance, and you can always crossfire with another later if you want more performance.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to overclock my XFX 7850 and it is going very bad

anything over 950mhz causes the driver to constantly reset

so I am guessing it needs more voltage, as the CCC overdrive power control settings do not actually raise the core voltage?

I'm installing afterburner now

just to be sure from the pic, you set the core voltage to MAX 1299?

EDIT: hmmm, can't seem to change the core voltage in afterburner either

I went into settings and did check the little box unless there is something I'm missing

and there is an extra bar power limit %, just like in CCC

___

Ok, I got it sort of working

Sapphire Trixx works to raise the voltage

I find that odd as afterburner/riva tuner is the newest version that just came out

Edited by potatochobit

just to be sure from the pic, you set the core voltage to MAX 1299?

Yeah, I did not raise the voltage at all for the 7850, how much more were you able to get with the voltage increase?

raising the voltage does almost nothing for me

touching the memory at all causes the video driver to crash almost instantly so I have left it at 1200

something seems to be strange with sapphire trixx

when I click reset to default, it puts the voltage at 1212, I do not think that is the stock voltages

anyway, at 1024MHz and 1200MHz memory at 1220 VDDC it was stable in furmark

got a score of 3277 which is just below a 5870

does that seem right? or do dual GPUs have an advantage in furmark?

I heard going over 1.25 volts voids your warranty

do they have a way to know? anyway, I am not interested in max performance but I would like a 'little' performance

I can barely get 100mhz over the stock clocks without increasing voltage

this is the worst overclocking card I have ever owned lol

maybe it is broken, I am not sure yet

playing dirt3, sometimes i get purple and pink square corruption while watching replays

could also still be the drivers, new tech can be finicky

one thing to note, I ordered my card from newegg when they were out of stock about two weeks ago

so this is most likely from the newest batch of cards from XFX

I heard before they were using 7870 boards on their 7850s, maybe they have stopped this

this card is quite long though

in regards to sound, this thing is amazing

whisper quiet at 50% fan speed

super low temperatures, lower than my CPU core, 30-40s, that is ridiculously good

• 1 year later...

Hi I have the XFX HD 7870 double D, and I would like to increase the voltage.

After doing alot of research alot of people said you can't and after reading your article, it's seems you did it.

Without increasing the voltage, the maximum I can go is; Core clock 1100Mhz and Memory clock 1500MHz and power limit +20% as well

In your review, you go up to 1241Mhz for the core.

• XFX HD 7870 Black Edition 2 GB Core 1241MHz Memory 1328MHz

I would like to, but I need to increase the voltage.

Can you explain me how you increase the voltage ?

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_hd_7870_7850_dd/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_hd_7870_7850_dd/images/7870oc.htm

To overcloack, I followed all these step. I got lasted CCC driver + lasted MSI afterburn

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18431335

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Edited by Tibone18