New 990FX Board Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I don't even really use programs that fully support my 6 cores on my X6. What are we supposed to do with 8!?!?!? :dunno:

How about 16? Each Bulldozer core has 2 integer calculators in it and one floating point (normally they're one of each). I don't know if they can be utilized as separate threads, but I'm sure they are working on someway to utilize them both.

By the way, thanks to bp9801 editing it, the news item about the delay is up on the homepage: Bulldozer Pushed Back.

I just read that news article. They delayed to due to performance issues? That doesn't sound good. I was hopeing that bulldozer was going to bulldoze Intel but it looks like Intel may be doing the bulldozering now.

I would be surprised if they can manage to compete across the board. Its not really AMD's niche. They are great budget for performance, and thats where they make their money- not by trying to build the biggest beast like the i7 990x (which is an exercise in excess if you ask me).

Then again, Sandy Bridge hits a really sweet spot for cost/performance... AMD definitely needs to show that Bulldozer is relevant vs the new Intel lineup. Delaying might not be such a bad idea to make sure things go as smooth as possible (read also: Cougar Point).

Wouldn't it be awesome if they also managed to drop the price with the B2 stepping? I doubt it, but that would be sweet.

If Bulldozer can hit its mark Intel will be scrambling because it is just so different from what they offer. Would they even try to match its design, or would they try something else? Competition is a good thing :evilgrin:

Wouldn't it be awesome if they also managed to drop the price with the B2 stepping? I doubt it, but that would be sweet.

If Bulldozer can hit its mark Intel will be scrambling because it is just so different from what they offer. Would they even try to match its design, or would they try something else? Competition is a good thing :evilgrin:

It's only a competition if one side isn't getting totally blown away. Otherwise, it's just a slaughter.

I heard somewhere that when multi threading is not importan one of the two cores gets all the resources?

and it does let us save more money for the top end one which is meant to be $320!

Edited by Dan The Gamer

I heard somewhere that when multi threading is not importan one of the two cores gets all the resources?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say....

Some programs support multi-threading, some do not. But even if you're using a program that does not, if you are running multiple programs, your other programs can be running on other threads.

<br>I'm not sure what you're trying to say....<br><br>Some programs support multi-threading, some do not. But even if you're using a program that does not, if you are running multiple programs, your other programs can be running on other threads.<br>
<br><br>the processor decides to dump on one core in a module so it uses all both of the cores resources such as the fpu(i don't know what this it....)

It better for that asking price :whistling:

yeah the asking price is making me seriously consider an EVGA 131 x58 mobo and i7-960 instead of an AMD Phenom II x6 and this mobo... I want SLI not CrossFire... I dont like ATI cards bc i have never had good luck with them.

yeah the asking price is making me seriously consider an EVGA 131 x58 mobo and i7-960 instead of an AMD Phenom II x6 and this mobo... I want SLI not CrossFire... I dont like ATI cards bc i have never had good luck with them.

Lol well that's a bit far, I was talking about Sandybridge being the alternative :P