Verran

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Original post updated with info on RAID-6 and RAID-10. Please feel free to comment on new or old information if you have suggestions.

I know it's a bit late but the RAID 0 description is a bit off. RAID 0 doesn't improve access times it increases throughput on large files.

Updated the RAID-0 description to clarify the benefits to read/write throughput as opposed to access times. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I do not have a reply or a comment.

I just want to plus one for verran, occ members, staff, and everyone who participated.

this is not only a great guide but if you look around there is a monument of excellent guides to be hold here.

+1 to all of you.

Boinker

Edited by boinker

• 9 months later...
When you have a RAID 1 setup and you partition your disc, does the mirror have the same parition or is it not paritioned at all?

Kinda sorta.

The RAID may or may not write RAID-specific data to the disks. If it does, you can't just pull a disk out of the RAID and boot it up in another machine (unless that machine has a matching RAID controller). If it doesn't you may be able to boot the second (or third, etc) disk in the RAID 1 array on another machine.

Does that answer the question?

EDIT: It may be worth noting that with a good RAID controller RAID 1 can actually increase read speeds significantly if it's intelligent about how it splits up the read requests. :)

Edited by Waco

Not quite what I was asking. I mean if I partitioned like 20gigs for my OS and 60gigs for data, would both drives be partitioned as such or would the main one be partitioned and the mirror not be?

• 1 month later...

Almost 2 months late, but maybe this will help someone else. AFAIK, the short answer is yes. My RAID controller works in disks, not partitions, where RAID1 Array = Disk 1 + Disk 2... not Partition X on Disk 1 and Partition Y on Disk 2. It mirrors the entire disk, including partition table and MBR. HOWEVER... I have used software raid controllers in Linux, and I'm sure there are Windows ones too (W7 has it built in) that will mirror only a partition, not the whole disk. So if you want the whole shebang mirrored, use a hardware-based raid controller and you *should* be okay.

• 7 months later...

Do you mean how does the RAID controller do it (by using a parity bit like this), or whats the end-user procedure to doing it? I would imagine its similar to reconstructing a RAID 1 array on your end, just drop the drive in, load your RAID BIOS, and find the reconstruct option.

• 5 months later...

Basic Raid0 With 5 ssd sata2 on Asus p8p67 pro motherboard

The speed is fantastic over 1210mb\s :woot:

It work with 6 SSD in raid 0 for more extreme speeds up to 1400mb\S with the onboard sata chip

i got a new batterybackup write cache of 512mb ,hardware raidkontroller with 8 of 300mb\s lanes that gives me around 2gb\s,, but 1600-1800mb\s would be more acurat

Can add pictures and info later of the controllersystem when it finisch :haha::doh:

post-75919-12989983775786_thumb.jpg

post-75919-12989974533508_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobbanSWE