Need some help

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they note anything on the return slip detailing what the "did"?

No they did not.

Is it bowed out of the case too?

Yes the motherboard was/is bowed when out of the case. 

I tried a different cpu thinking oh hey maybe my cpu is messed up, but no the damn thing still does the exact same thing cpu temp at idle with the stock heatsink is ~50* C with both CPUs.

Every power saving option is disabled, if they were enabled the cpu temp wouldn't idle at 50* C, And yes I did put the motherboard in first, and I switched over to my Core Contact Freezer, for initial testing, then switched it to the stock heatsink as its a lot easier to reinstall.

Edited by slick2500

Thats pretty much normal and I see it all the time on boards I look at. After looking at the heat sink you are using it was not meant for use on an AM3+ socket or bulldozer based chip. It just does not have the capacity to run a Bulldozer chip. Now that being said if it ran fine before adding the second card the added thermal load and the orientation of the heat sink is going to cause it to pick up that added thermal load and put you into a position where the CPU is going to throttle unless you have enough airflow through it to keep the interior air temperature at the ambient temperature of the room. That hot air also rises and starts cooking the VRM making an already bad situation worse. 

DO you have a high CFM fan in the top of your case? My 830 stacker even with a decent fan barely pushes any air out the top of the chassis and the single 120mm fan just is not up to the challenge unless I load the front full of high CFM fans to put the case into a positive air pressure scenario. When running F@H on my i7 920 at 3.6 and using a reference card for F@H so that the heat load goes out of the case I still run in the 90's on the chip. 

This is a pic of my pc with my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, which is the cooler I initially started with. The Core Contact Freezer I have is the 120mm version not the 92mm version. How does it not have the capacity to run a bulldozer chip? AMD still uses the same heatsink they shipped with the first AM2 low end cpus. I removed the second card thinking that was the issue. Runs the same with 1 card. This problem actually started before I got the second card. I thought it was something with the OS and reinstalled Windows when I got the second card, didn't even get a chance to test the Crossfire setup :( The fan in the top of the case was the stock fan that came with the case that was in the back, Coolermaster A12025-12RB-3JN-F1 I put a Yate Loon D12SL-12 fan in the back and in the bottom.I also have a Apevia CD1225 in the bottom. Look at the specs of those fans I should put the Apevia in the top. I suppose I should have mentioned that I tried a different cpu ram and video card in my motherboard and it still does the same thing.

20140225_224058.jpg

Edited by slick2500

I made a recommendation based on your initial comments and was talking about the 120mm version not the 92mm version. Are you running the system in that orientation? Fans pushing air down from the top of the chassis? Not trying to be combative just trying to offer a solution based on having the same chassis and my experience with it as it relates to the amount of airflow I can get through mine and the temperature concerns I have with my setup. 

Every Bulldozer/Vishera chip I have used has needed a liquid cooled solution, be it AIO or better to keep temps under control. Not just one but every one I have used including the 8120, 8150, 8350, 9370, and 9590. Yes they are 8 core but have the same thermals.  They sell the chips with a cooler yes, and it is much like the ones sold with Intels mainstream chips. Marginal at best in most scenarios but they do keep the chip less than 100C under a sustained load. 

Using a card that dumps the airflow into the chassis is going to create thermal challenges challenges without adequate airflow. Looking at the fans you have listed you are pushing in about 75CFM and exhausting only about 44CFM. SOme better fans will surely help you out. Your drive cages have fan mounting provisions and even if you do not use the drive cages use them to mount a couple fans on the front of the chassis and look to a couple better fans to pull air out.  Using some of these really will move some air through the case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103061

Can you show some bios screen shots of the advanced sections of the bios and I can try and compare what I am currently running on my AMD test setup to see if there is anything that is missing?