3-pin fan cable too short

lost

would it be safe to just cut the 3 cables down the middle and extend it myself with some wire? or would that be a bad idea? or i can just buy the cables... i'm looking at a few of the

3-pin extension cable or google product search, just gotta find the cheapest one with shipping i guess

3-pin Y extension cable http://www.directron.com/y3pin.html

You can extend them yourself if you want to. Just make sure you put heatshrink over the splices.

I think an extension would look better though.

yea, and probably cheaper too. pack of heatshrink would be about 4-6 dollars, and those guns for the heatshrink would cost me like 20, and the wire would be another 5 dollars.

you can use a lighter as a heat source, or a hair dryer is better (as it is pretty much impossible to burn/char/soot the heatshrink with a hairdryer)... a lighter is quick and easy though, just wave it across the heatshrink... probably could buy one for a dollar or less

heatshrink... probably some 2mm stuff, about 1 metre of it will last ages and costs about $1-2

wire, about 70c or less a metre

so total cost for 1 metre would be about 4 or 5 dollars... you could make a few extensions, and have heatshrink left over for other things

you can use a lighter as a heat source, or a hair dryer is better (as it is pretty much impossible to burn/char/soot the heatshrink with a hairdryer)... a lighter is quick and easy though, just wave it across the heatshrink... probably could buy one for a dollar or less

heatshrink... probably some 2mm stuff, about 1 metre of it will last ages and costs about $1-2

wire, about 70c or less a metre

so total cost for 1 metre would be about 4 or 5 dollars... you could make a few extensions, and have heatshrink left over for other things

what kind of wire would i need? http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...w=wire&sr=1 like what gauge?

well radio shack doesn't sell it by the feet or meter. i'll try a few local hardware stores.

what kind of wire would i need? http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...w=wire&sr=1 like what gauge?

well radio shack doesn't sell it by the feet or meter. i'll try a few local hardware stores.

Those wires? They are probably 24 gauge, maybe 22. In other words, fairly small. I think 20 gauge is starting to get too big for what is needed. The best thing would be to bring whatever you have to the store and measure the actual wire against what they have. (Not including the insulation, just the wire, though most are standard)

I splice all the time.... cheaper and MUCH cleaner than connectors all over

:withstupid: I don't have the time or resources to make my splices super neat... so now I just slap liquid electrical tape over all my connections... I should probably starting heatshrinking though, easier to do with a lighter or hairdryer as hardnrg said.

I learned my lesson about cheaping out and using electrical tape on my connections, last month I accidentally hit my computer, and my relay speaker/server mod. (I had power routed through my computer to a relay so when I start my computer on, it'll start the other devices) Apparantly my ghetto 2 pin connector splice shorted cause my optical bay literally exploded with sparks and tripped the circuit breaker :lol:

Needless to say, that case has a small black crater (small gouge included) on the bottom of the bay :lol:

Edited by The Unforgivin

I splice all the time, much cleaner look because you can make it the exact length needed. Nrg's approach is very similar to mine and much cheaper please you get to work on your soldering skills. The wire size I use is 22 gauge for that application. As far as where to get the wire I usually have dead or fans around that I don't need so I cut the wire of them and use it.

Are you planning on soldering the wires ? That is what I would recommend , then cover the solder points with the heat shrink. As far as the wire gage, use the same size as the ones you are soldering to. My guess would be 24 gage. Be careful using the lighter not to melt the exposed wires.

Good Luck . ;)

well i went to my local hardware store, they don't have anything that slim. radioshack has rolls of it, it costs about 6 dollars. i think it would be easier if i just buy the extension cables. i'm looking at 12 dollars alone on the heatshrink and wire.

$1.99 is the cost with a $10 minimum not including shipping. So you are already at $12 and going to have to wait to get it delivered. I get the feeling that you want to buy it whatever the reason.

Edited by Fanatic