MSI 990FXA GD-80 AMD 990FX Chipset Motherboard Reviewed

Nemo

I've had the same motherboard for about 3 weeks now and I'm loving it! Have my FX-8150 hoping to have time to install some time this week. Looking at the review I can't wait. Really great review btw, thanks Coke!

ccokeman that was a solid review. Your numbers match a point I had made when I reviewed the baord and that is that it is not as aggressive with the Turbocore as the Asus board. Also while I can understand the why for position the USB 3 header like they did it felt awkward to use.

End of the day it is a solid baord that few BIOS tweaks can make even better.

That could be but what I was referring to was the way the Turbo Core kicks in. I would watch the core speeds on the Asus baord and it lived at 3.9, almost never dipping below excpet LOW power usage when CnQ would kick in. With the MIS baord the cores seem to saty much closer to the 3.6 speed and only climb out occassionally by comparision. Now this could be a power circuit issue on the board but I think it is more likely this is just a BIOS issue that is not allowing for aggressive turbo core changes. I know I can overclock stable at stock voltage to 4.0 on the board and all cores so it would seem turbo core should eb able to be more aggressive.