Black or Frozen Screen----but no BSOD

In my amateur opinion, I would try swapping HDs to see if I could replicate the problem on a fresh OS install. 

From my experience: the only problems I've ever had with RAM is when I had a bad stick, and the PC wouldn't even boot with the bad stick.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kuronin, Im kind of leaning that way too.  I want to eliminate as much trouble as possible.  Im thinking my Mobo might have something to do with it but I want to eliminate my OS as a problem first.

i dont have any knowledge about overclocking so i cant tell any. so i tried a brief research about the 2500K(it's architecture etc..) and i just thought that you might be somewhat missing/overlooked something there with your OC settings that may hinder the PCIE and  the memory controllers, i'll check for bent CPU socket pins/overtightened cooler too :dunno:  

noticed any sudden elevated temperature?

edit: i would try running everything at stocks speeds then start from there.

Edited by sword_fish

Okay for some reason changing up the pcie slot for the Vid Card got me stability for about an hour.  Then I got BSOD.  Upon Restart, I read the boards here and saw that "d6bmg" is interested in my Ram allocations and as I thot something was wrong.

@d6bmg--I just went to look again at my Ram allocation and the reading is way different now and seem more inline with what it should be.  Thank God.  Im not sure of all the process of getting a screen up to OCC to I will give you my current read out......

Hardware Reserved = 88mb

In Use = 1405mb

Modified = 95mb

Standby = 710mb

Free = 5911mb

This was not the case when I looked before changing up my Vid Card to the Second PCIE slot.

Im also not sure what that 100mb Modified reading is.

The RAM allocation is perfectly ok.

And talking about BSOD, I would say if any part of your system is still overclocked, bring them back to stock and test again.

If you still get BSOD, then check the BSOD dump file and analyze it with BSOD analyzer application like 'whocrushed'. It will give you rough idea about the root of the problem.

Edited by d6bmg

Well yeah I was reading these forums yesterday and I got the system freeze.  I will bring everything back to default in bios and run Memtest on the Ram.  I really have put a lot of miles on this OC'd system. There may be some degredation somewhere.

If it makes you feel any better back in the olden days when the athlon 64 came out and intel still called their processors Pentium 4's we rocked DDR400 at latency's of 2-3-3-7 all the way up to DDR"600" but had to push 3+ volts threw it to do so this type of thing was common and was the name of the game but so was vdroop mods and stuff like that...things have gotten easier but sadly easier means harder to diagnose... good luck dude hope it really is just a bum stick a ram as ram is cheap these days and plentiful 

i'm no expert here, but i do know i get a very similar problem on my folding rig right now that i know is caused by the gt520 drivers crashing...i know it's the drivers because after it corrects itself i get the message onscreen that "the drivers have recovered from a serious error"....i also know from my experience and the way i put the machine together that the main problem is a conflict between the previous amd drivers and the current nvidia driver,,,,if it wasn't for the machine being only a folder, and rarely used for anything else i would reformat the drive and give it a fresh os install, which i've learned from previous experience, rights many wrongs....but at this moment, it's not that serious, so fuggitaboutit....the ccleaner solution is a pretty good one too, but my best results have been total cleanout...

...i'm just saying that if after you've tried everything else and if you're still having freezing problems try doing a clean install, and if that still doesn't do it for ya, you have my humble apology...

It seems like hundreds of us are having problems with previously stable overclocked systems.  Mine has been rock solid for over a year and just recently started acting up after a case swap  :)   I swear I didn't change one single other thing.  I think the President dropped a green bomb in a Microsoft update somewhere and that has been crippling any system that uses more than 120W  :)

At any rate.  As others have suggested, time to clear your CMOS, load optimized defaults and start a methodical stress test on all of your primary components.

Memtest 86+ overnight for memory problems

OCCT, Intel Burn Test or Prime 95 for cpu / memory / voltage problems

Disk drive diagnostics for hard drive

Unigine Heaven, 3DMark etc. for graphics

If you've recently installed a new gpu driver (i.e. one of nVidia's recent releases) you might try and go back to an older driver like the 306.97 (I picked that one only because I know from experience it is a solid driver for the 560, 570, 580 cards).  Or possibly the 310.70 or 310.90 releases.

Now the suggestions and similar occurrences are coming in. Thanks guys.

Um yeah I just ran 5 hours of Memtest 86 with no errors. I did reset the Memory to default and I dropped my Intel OC to 4.2. Im thinking that maybe it will end up being the ASROCK Mobo. When I switched my Vid from slot 1 to slot 2 the stability increased so that I was only dropping about once an hour instead of 15 minutes. Now its back to the 15 to 30 minute situation. I will reformat this weekend and if that doesn't heal me then I will think about a new Mobo. If anyone else has any suggestion that will be great. I think right now this afternoon I will try and roll back my Nvidia Driver to an two or three version older and try that. Maybe Wevsspot has something there with the drivers.. I have continually updated my drivers the last 6 months or so.

Edited by Kwok

OMG,  WEVSSPOT!  I installed the 310.70 drivers from Dec 12'.  Three hours now without a hitch.   This is totally amazing and at the same time sad.   Get what im sayin? This means that perhaps there is a valid point in your comments and suggestion.  Someone from here... I don't care who, should contact Nvidia and tell them that its not an isolated incident and to sic their tech groupies on it.

BTW, I had already went to Newegg and bought a GTX680.  I don't mind the fact that I probably didn't need it. Its okay its a great card and runs cooler than my gtx580.

A BIG THANKS WEV.  :thx: 

OMG,  WEVSSPOT!  I installed the 310.70 drivers from Dec 12'.  Three hours now without a hitch.   This is totally amazing and at the same time sad.   Get what im sayin? This means that perhaps there is a valid point in your comments and suggestion.  Someone from here... I don't care who, should contact Nvidia and tell them that its not an isolated incident and to sic their tech groupies on it.

BTW, I had already went to Newegg and bought a GTX680.  I don't mind the fact that I probably didn't need it. Its okay its a great card and runs cooler than my gtx580.

A BIG THANKS WEV.  :thx: 

well that IS good to hear, i will keep it in mind...hope it stays stable for a long time ! ...good call wev !!