7970 overclocking

I've just recently mod a deep cool dracula non 7970 version to fit on my 7970. i just couldn't stand the blower sound anymore. and now temps are getting better i think i wanna try overclocking the card further but i'm stuck at 1060mhz just like i did with stock cooler.

my card is kinda weird, whenever i try to add more volt the driver crashed and i need to sweep and reinstall it back or it will give me artifact.. even at stock speed it will not accept anything higher than 1060mv(my card's VID is 1050mv).at first i thought it's temperature related but even with the new cooler it's the same.

i'm running safe bios now,got the ghz bios flash a while ago on the second bios and the card will overclock further but temp with stock cooler is to much for me even at stock speed( 90+ C). haven't tried it with the new cooler though..should i try again the ghz bios?

and another weird thing is on gpuz my vddc voltage reading is all over the place going up to 1.4v and sometimes all the way down 0.5v with average reading of 1.03v (BOTH 1.4V AND 0.5V READING ARE RANDOM SPIKE NOT CONSTANT)but afterburner shows constant voltage reading of 1.05v. can you guys suggest me a software to get proper reading for this? i'm really concerned with the vddc voltage spike at 1.4v

Reflash to the stock BIOS to start. Then use the latest iteration of MSI Afterburner  3.00 Beta 15 and enable unofficial overclocking limits so you can adjust the voltage to the core for increased clock speed. If you are limited to 1060Mhz you essentially have the worst clocking HD 7970 I have seen. 

Reflash to the stock BIOS to start. Then use the latest iteration of MSI Afterburner  3.00 Beta 15 and enable unofficial overclocking limits so you can adjust the voltage to the core for increased clock speed. If you are limited to 1060Mhz you essentially have the worst clocking HD 7970 I have seen. 

hi guys, sorry for the late reply... i've flashed back the bios to stock and finally i can adjust the  voltage without crashing.. right now running 1100mhz @1.1v :)

btw what is the best software to test stability of the overclock? i'm using unigine heaven 4.0... too lazy to play game while testing for stabilty :P  i wonder if ATItool is suitable for this card

nice mod can we get some pics please I'll grabbing a 7970 from bosco and I would like to switch out the annoying blower when it gets here. also I've just played games for a couple hours or let a benchmark run in a loop to see if the overclock holds.

Edited by capthowdy575

nice mod can we get some pics please I'll grabbing a 7970 from bosco and I would like to switch out the annoying blower when it gets here. also I've just played games for a couple hours or let a benchmark run in a loop to see if the overclock holds.

i forgot to take picture while doing the mod unfortunately but mostly it's just some grinding work on the base since 7970 die sit lower than the protecting shim i have to grind away the extra copper on each side of the base. but if i were you, i'd just buy the 7970 version instead it's really not worth the hassle since both version retail at the same price actually. unless you can get the cooler at a cheap price like me(30$ open-box) :)

Edited by panjang

• 1 month later...

sorry for bringing this thread up again, but i just wanna ask more question.

1. is it normal to have the vrm1 running 20C higher than gpu temp?

2. where is the location of the vrm1? is it the long strip close to the power connector or the smaller one next to dvi connector

3. what is the safe operating temp of the vrm

after doing some observation vrm1 temp gets even higher when i start adding more voltage. right now i'm running 1100mhz at 1075mV and the gpu barely hit 65C but vrm1 is hovering around 85C-90C, i was running 1100mV earlier but vrm1 temp reach 100C after a few loop of unigine.

i don't think it's fan related cause i got 3 80mm 5000rpm screamer attached to the heatsink(thank god it's pwm controlled), and it's definitely  not poor ventilation cause opening the side panel or adding fan to the side panel barely dropped the vrm temp(gpu temp dropped 5C though). the vrm heatsink is attached with 3M thermal tape and the heatsink is very hot to touch so i think it's properly seated.

i have never observe the vrm temp while running stock cooler before so i got no idea what the vrm temp should be at, any opinion guys? :dunno: