Speaker upgrade time!

Black64

So I decided to upgrade my speakers, but first I wanted to try out some new ones in my setup to get a feel for them. I bought Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 and Gold GX100 speakers. Both sound amazing and the GX100s are a serious step up from my B&Ws. (I love B&W speakers, but I refuse to buy any new ones since they are sold at BB.) The PL100 seem a little bright compared to the GX100 but should burn in quite nicely. Even still I am leaning towards the GX100s. I am thinking I need to upgrade my receiver/amp, but the new stuff comes out this fall so I will wait until then.

The GX100 are on the stands and the PL100 are to the left.

f4b.JPG

Edited by Black64

That is actually pretty sad. You can get some of the most kick butt speakers...ever. http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUAD-ESL57-speakers-in-excellent-working-condition-/271209670127?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3f255b25ef

The problem is that it is a 2.0 system. 

Are you sure I can not interest you in an awesome 2 channel system?  :evilgrin:

If not, would you consider martin logan electrostatic panels? You would have a 5 channel system (the sub woofer would be included on each channel), but they are larger than what you have. 

I am thinking I need to upgrade my receiver/amp, but the new stuff comes out this fall so I will wait until then.

What are you running now?

Those should pretty much last forever until they break :P

Martin Logan makes good stuff, but as with B&W, I don't like that it's sold at BB. Also I have demo'd some of those speakers and I just don't like them. They don't produce a clear enough soundstage as I would like, but I have owned one of there subs and they quite quite good. And I don't like floorstanding speakers for space and resale reasons.

@Andrew a Rotel RSX-1057. 

Martin Logan makes good stuff, but as with B&W, I don't like that it's sold at BB. Also I have demo'd some of those speakers and I just don't like them. They don't produce a clear enough soundstage as I would like, but I have owned one of there subs and they quite quite good. And I don't like floorstanding speakers for space and resale reasons.

@Andrew a Rotel RSX-1057. 

They don't produce a clear sound stage?????? ..........huh. You are the first person to have said that. I do not want to push the point too far, but are you sure you were using a good amp/dac when you listened to them?

I would recommend Quad ELS panels instead, but it is more or less of the same issue. 

Everything else I know of is actually pretty big. I take it you are looking for bookshelf speakers only? It would take a LONG time since they are rare, but celestion 3 speakers are awesome when you have the right amp. 

Before I bought the monitor audio speakers, I demo'd some PMC bookshelfs, Triad Platinum LCRs, B&W Diamonds and Paradigm Signature 20s. Martin Logan makes good stuff but there are far better speakers out there. Also speakers are subjective, so the best isn't always the best to you or me. I just bought what I liked.

Edited by Black64

Yeah, I am aware it is subjective. I am just surprised because you are the first one to actually carry that opinion. Most people who don't like them say their bass is a bit weak. 

In any case, I am not sure how to take advantage of your budget and still get bookshelf size speakers. Klipsch has some book shelf speakers that are similar to the ones you have except they use horn tweeters. The issue is that I have never heard them, and they seem to be a love/hate type speaker. 

At this point IDK what to tell you. Everything else I know of is vintage and big.